opinion oped

EDITORIAL: A modern man of God

A modern man of God

Since the beginning of his papacy, Pope Francis worked as a people’s pope, and for good reason.

In an extremely clever move, he initiated a Jubilee Year of Mercy, in which “the forgiveness of God cannot be denied to one who has repented,” as mentioned in his press letter from the Vatican published Tuesday.

We think it is important to note that he’s the people’s pope because he knows how to 
navigate the politics of a secular world.

He understands that the Catholic Church has, for a long time, seemed like an unforgiving and cold institution abound with hypocrisy and harshness.

He understands that the Church needs to change direction — and fast — in order to be relevant without compromising the core values of Catholics’ faith.

The pope granted Catholic priests permission to forgive women for the “sin of abortion,” within the announcement of the Year of Mercy.

The news made international headlines.

There was a long-standing policy in place that women who had abortions were excommunicated from the Catholic Church and could only re-join after 
repenting and with permission from 
a bishop.

While most parishes had already been ignoring the policy to a certain extent, the fact that it was still in place was problematic.

Francis’ recognition and abolition of this and other unfair and problematic policies has made him a pope that, finally, 
people feel like they can rally behind.

Though it’s unclear how the Church will approach abortion after the Year of Mercy, the pope recognizes women who have abortions are ostracized by their parishes.

In his letter, he writes, ”The tragedy of abortion is experienced by some with a superficial awareness, as if not realizing the extreme harm that such an act entails. Many others, on the other hand, although experiencing this moment as a defeat, believe that they have no other option. I think in particular of all the women who have resorted to abortion.”

This is not the first time he’s done 
something like this.

Early in his papacy he made a series of 
statements that condemned homophobia and homophobic behavior.

He’s also met with victims of sexual abuse and made statements asking for increased 
environmental awareness.

Of course he isn’t perfect.

The idea that women who have had abortion would need to seek “redemption” is problematic, but then again redemption is a key element of any practicing 
Catholic’s faith.

Confession is a necessary step for anyone who has sinned, according to the Church.

Moreover, while he’s someone who knows how to navigate through the secular world, he doesn’t seem to do so 
maliciously.

He initiated the Year of Mercy because he wants to be merciful, not just because it was a good PR move.

If it helps people give and receive forgiveness and kindness, then we can’t really complain.

And if we could request it, we want Pope Francis to come to IU, not Brother Jeb.