Undergraduate Research publication releases first issue

IU has launched a new multi-campus, interdisciplinary publication, according to an IU press release Tuesday. The publication, the “Indiana University Journal of Undergraduate Research,” has its first issue out and available for free online.

The student board is already accepting submissions for the second volume of the publication, which will be published June 2016.

The Journal of Undergraduate Research is supported by the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, according to the press release.

The journal covers several topics, featuring articles from different corners of IU: humanities, natural sciences, professional schools and social sciences are all included, according to the release. The student editorial board accepts submissions of any full-length articles, literature reviews, abstracts and research compilations from undergraduates.

The current volume focuses on the natural sciences, with six of the 13 articles falling under that section.

The journal was launched by a student-led board, the release says, and has taken fewer than two years to take shape and launch its first ?issue.

It is also the first publication of its kind at IU to “exclusively feature undergraduate research.”

“Volume I features a variety of articles showing the students’ depth of thought in the humanities, natural sciences, professional schools and social sciences,” Janit Pandya, co-editor-in-chief of the publication, said in the release. “Student authors present unique perspectives on topics within their respective areas of study, reflecting the diverse intellectual curiosity across the Indiana University system.”

The student editorial board, which rates submissions for the journal, accepts submissions from undergraduates at any IU campus, the release reads.

Pandya serves as co-editor-in-chief alongside Kristie Hsu.

“Our aim is that year to year, the publication will be an exceptional reflection of Indiana University’s vibrant and diverse culture of curiosity,” they wrote in their “Letter from the Editors” in the publication.

Natalie Schumann, a 2015 graduate of the IU journalism program, had submitted her article, “Nationalism in National Geographic Magazine, 1888-1923,” with the encouragement of IU professor Dr. Gerry Lanosga.

“I was completely open to the idea, and I thought it would be a great opportunity,” Schumann said in an email. “I hadn’t heard about the journal until Gerry told me about it, and I’m so thankful he did.”

She said while most research journals are at the graduate level, this journal is a way for undergrads not only to expand their research skills, but also to get ?published.

“I love that the journal covers such a wide range of subjects,” she said. “It was so interesting to find out what other students are passionate about.”

Dennis Groth, the vice provost for undergraduate education at IU, said in the press release he commends the student staff, as well as the authors, on their work and commitment to the publication.

“The results that emerge from these high-impact educational opportunities are transformative for the greater university community as well as the undergraduate experience, and they deserve to be celebrated,” he said.

Submissions for Volume II will be accepted any time before Dec. 1, 2015.