IU student arrested on preliminary charge of attempted murder

By Holly Hays

An IU student is facing preliminary charges of attempted murder after he shot someone with whom he was arguing.

Kriegon Newby was booked into the Monroe County Jail at 10:38 a.m. Wednesday, according to Bloomington Police Officer Ben Keller-Kuhn.

Newby, 22, was arrested on preliminary charges of attempted murder, battery, criminal recklessness and carrying a handgun without a license.

Newby is currently a senior at IU, according to reports from Fox 59 ?Indianapolis.

At approximately 4 a.m. on Wednesday, an officer and an ambulance were ?dispatched to the 800 block of South Henderson Street in response to reports of a male with serious injuries, according to a press release from the BPD.

When responders arrived at the scene, the male said he was the victim of a shooting that took place nearby.

The 23-year-old victim had injuries to his head and his arms.

The victim said he and Newby had been in a physical fight prior to the ?shooting.

Witnesses say Newby battered the victim, fought him, left the scene and then returned to apologize, during which time the shooting ?occurred.

Upon his return, Newby and the victim began fighting again, at which time Newby drew a weapon from his pocket and fired three shots at the victim. A witness tackled Newby and maintained control of him until police arrived, according to the ?release.

A .22-caliber handgun was found near where the suspect was being held and is believed to be the weapon used in the incident.

The victim was transported to IU Health Bloomington Hospital, where he is expected to recover despite sustaining serious injuries.

Attempted murder, battery and criminal recklessness are all felonies, Keller-Kuhn said, and carrying a handgun without a license is a misdemeanor.

The case remains under investigation.

As of Sunday evening Newby was still being held at the Monroe County jail.