IU freshman selected for World University Games

From IDS reports

IU freshman Raheel Manji has made his presence known his first year in Bloomington.

Manji, a Pickering, Ontario, native, was selected as one of three men’s tennis players to play for Team Canada at the World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea, from July 3 to 14. This event, second in size to the Olympics, will feature more than 12,200 student-athletes and officials from more than 170 countries.

“Raheel has really done an amazing job in singles and doubles,” IU Coach Jeremy Wurtzman said. “Coming in, I didn’t really know what to expect from him, and he really held his own against very good competition at the college level. He didn’t take a back seat to anyone. I think the future is very bright for Raheel.”

Manji not only impressed in singles competition, finishing with an 18-9 record, but also excelled in doubles alongside teammate senior Sven Lalic with a 14-7 mark.

“It means a lot,” Manji said. “I’ve always had a fun time representing Canada in the past. I love my team here — Indiana. It just means a lot to represent both my teams and my country. And I know that it’s a rare opportunity, and I’m just happy to be a part of it the experience that comes along with it.”