Jewish, Muslim students attend religious services

Rabbi Ron Klotz speaks during the collaborative event between IU Muslim Student Union and IU Hillel on Friday.

IU Muslim Student Union, in conjunction with IU Hillel, sponsored a day of activities and conversation between both groups Friday, a day that is special for both religions.

Titled “TGIF: The ways we coexist,” participants were given the opportunity to attend both Muslim and Jewish services, visiting both places of worship, playing games and bonding over food and shared customs.

The day started with a Jumuah service, the traditional Muslim service on a Friday afternoon. Walking into the room, participants were greeted by a sign that said “Salaam” and “Shalom.” Both words mean peace in Arabic and Hebrew, setting up the day for an open discussion of peace.

“We are allowing a forum between two groups that would normally never allow a conversation to start in the first place,” Hillel President Carrie Seleman said.

The service exposed the Jewish participants to the traditions of the Muslim religious culture. Each week in the Muslim religion, a different philosophical topic is discussed. The topic discussed Friday was smiling. The teaching was that if you make a conscious effort to smile more in your everyday life, you will be a happier person and inspire others to do the same.

Following the service, the group transitioned into a number of ice breakers to have the opportunity for the two groups to interact as one. Led by Seleman, participants played games like where the wind blows, blow the deck and rearranging teams of people into age order without speaking. Each game brought out a lot of smiles and laughter, a direct lesson learned from the service earlier.

Once the last ice breaker was finished, Fariha ?Hossain, religious chair of Muslim Student Union, had the group circle up to start an open forum and allow the conversation to be guided by the participants. Hossain started the conversation by posing the question, “What is the favorite part of your religion?” A variety of answers came from this simple ?question.

Being held accountable for your actions, encompassing everything in your life, providing an all-inclusive community and always having an answer for everything were some responses from Muslim participants.

Similar answers were given by the Jewish participants. Being based on all interpretations, having the ability to always ask questions and having a community aspect were the most common responses.

The conversation continued with the shared traditions on Fridays, coming to college and having your religion remain part of your life, celebrating holidays and customs away from families, the question of God in religion and the goals of each religion.

“Our discussion allows us to go past our cultural barriers,” IU sophomore and participant Salah Alhamda said.

Following the discussion, participants walked to the local mosque in town and were given a tour and had time to ask any questions that may have arisen. After the tour, the event moved to Hillel for Shabbat services, followed by a free Shabbat dinner open to the public.

“Both the mosque and Hillel are built to grow community and bring people together,” Hossain said.

Both organizations presented a traditional service to portray the customs of the respective religions. After the exposure of the two religions’ customs, both leaders of the organizations said they hoped to see a common ground being built for a ?relationship.