Concert Band and Symphonic band to perform tonight

At 8 p.m. today in Auer Hall, Jacobs School of Music’s Concert Band and Symphonic Band will perform an evening concert. Concert Band conductor Vu Q. Nguyen and Symphonic Band conductor Eric M. Smedley will conduct the concert, in addition to others.

The concert will begin with Andrew Boysen’s “Kirkpatrick Fanfare,” conducted by Nicholas P. Waldron. Following will be “Be Thou My Vision” composed by David Gillingham and Jospeh Turrin’s “Scarecrow Overture,” conducted by Andrew D. Chybowski.

Next will be “Give Us This Day” by David Maslanka and then “Spoon River,” composed by Percy Grainger and conducted by Tiffany ?J. Galus.

Joni Greene’s “The Moon Glistens” will be performed, and then Vanja Lisjak’s “Concerto for Euphonium, Brass and Percussion” will follow featuring Brennan Johns on the euphonium.

The concert concludes with “Theme and Variations, Op. 43a,” composed by Arnold Schoenberg, and Samuel Barber’s “Commando March.”

Nguyen serves as an assistant professor of music and director of bands at the University of Indianapolis. He conducts the Wind Ensemble and Campus Band, directs the Pep Band and teaches undergraduate instrumental conducting.

Originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, Nguyen holds degrees in conducting from the University of Washington and the University of Oregon and a Bachelor of Music in music education from the University of ?the Pacific.

Prior to his appointment at the University of Indianapolis, Nguyen served on the faculty of Washington University in St. Louis and taught in the public schools of San Ramon, Calif.

Nguyen has conducted throughout the western United States and Japan, and he maintains an active schedule as a clinician and guest conductor.

His research interests focus on contemporary wind band literature, the music of Frank Zappa, conducting pedagogy and the influence of culture on musical memory, according to the Jacob’s School of Music website.

Smedley is an assistant professor of music and the assistant director of bands at the Jacob’s School of Music, where he directs the Concert Band, assists with the marching and athletic bands and teaches undergraduate instrumental conducting.

He holds a Doctor of Musical Arts degree from the University of Washington and Master of Music and Bachelor of Music Education degrees from the Jacob’s School of Music.

He has conducted throughout North America, Russia and Japan and maintains an active schedule as a clinician, guest conductor and adjudicator, according to the music school.

He also has an active schedule as a trumpet recitalist and ensemble musician, performing a wide variety of musical styles. Smedley’s research interests are varied and include projects in the areas of contemporary wind band literature, wind band orchestration and conducting pedagogy, according to the music school.