Agler announces she will leave IU

1spIUWBB

Sophomore guard Taylor Agler has decided to leave the IU women’s basketball team, she announced on her Instagram account Tuesday.

“Deciding to leave IU was the hardest decision I have made in my entire life,” she said.

Agler initially thanked the coaching staff that brought her in for believing in her when no one else did. She then went on to thank the current staff.

Immediately after the season ended Thursday, Agler said she would be staying with the team.

“No, no,” Agler said. “That’s not it. I’m here. These are my best friends, so I couldn’t leave them.”

The Westerville, Ohio, native started the first 49 games of her college career, 34 of which under former coach Curt Miller. Agler did not start Jan. 11 against Wisconsin due to an ankle injury, then lost her job to sophomore guard Alexis Gassion, who had the spot the rest of the season.

In Big Ten play, Agler only played 13.2 minutes per game.

In a Feb. 2 game against Purdue, Agler did not play a single minute and Moren said that Agler’s lack of time was just a basketball decision.

Agler said IU Coach Teri Moren preached that she should own her role and that’s what she did. Moren consistently said that it was never anything Agler did that reduced her time, other people simply stepped up.

Her Instagram post ended with a thank you to all of IU.

“Finally a big thank you to Hoosier nation for being the greatest fans and basketball community I could ever imagine,” Agler said. “This university will be one tough act to follow.”

Brody Miller