Meet and Greet provides opportunities to learn about Greek life

Members of Beta Theta Pi talk to prospective members at the Meet and Greet in the IMU Solarium on Sunday afternoon.

Men’s fraternity recruitment started Sunday with a meet and greet session held at the Indiana Memorial Union.

The Interfraternity Council hosted the event to give freshmen and sophomores who didn’t rush in the fall ?insight into IU Greek life.

IFC Vice President of Recruitment Joey Shin said the way people see Greek life, even before entering it, is heavily skewed.

“There are a lot of PNMs (potential new members) who come in with a preconceived view for some fraternities,” he said. “They come to form their own opinions through hearing what others have said without ever interacting with them. This meet and greet today should take away some of those notions, as everyone will have the opportunity to walk around and interact with anyone ?they want.”

Pi Lambda Phi Vice President of Recruitment Danny Keay said because the amount of participants in spring rush is much smaller than fall rush, this event plays a good role in getting acquainted to Greek life without the stressful rush process.

“Some people don’t go through fall rush because they don’t want to go through formal recruitment,” he said. “Although this is a formal event, it’s much more low-key than formal recruitment. It gives people the opportunity to go around and see a side of each chapter without the whole recruitment ?process.”

IFC President Sam Snemis agreed that the event is important for spring rush.

“A lot of guys choose to rush in the spring for multiple reasons, whether that be because of grades or wanting to spend the fall getting adjusted to the university,” he said. “They hear from their friends who rushed in the fall about the benefits of Greek life, and this is a great opportunity for them to explore what each chapter ?represents.”

Keay said the event also acts as a great opportunity for his fraternity, Pi Lambda Phi, a new fraternity on campus, to attract new members.

“Since we are a new chapter, this is also a great chance for us because people will begin to know who we are,” he said. “It’s tough getting the attraction when you’re new and off-campus, but the help of this event can definitely lead to more members.”

IU freshman and meet and greet participant Mike Ash said he’s anxious to start meeting people from the different chapters and ?experience IU Greek life.

“Being in a fraternity is something that I’ve always thought about doing because of the connections you make,” he said. “Not just with friends, but even in the future when applying for a job; if your employer sees you were in a fraternity, maybe even the same one he was in, that could make a difference.”

Although great for long-term connections, it’s hard to look away from the social aspect of fraternities, said IU freshman and meet and greet participant Jack Lusster.

“I came to IU knowing Greek life was a big part of campus,” he said. “Being in a fraternity will always give you something to do ... Mostly though, you meet a ton of people you’d probably never meet otherwise.”