Minority fraternities and sororities work to gain traction on campus

Members of the Sigma Lambda Upsilon participate in a Sexual Assault Prevention Symposium.

According to University statistics, more than 20 percent of IU undergraduates are involved in Greek life. Of those 20 percent, there’s a small, unrecognized ?portion.

President of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity Treon McClendon said his brotherhood, a primarily African American one, is invisible around campus.

“It’s a struggle,” he said. “We’re an off-campus fraternity, so we try to do a lot of work via social media to get our name out there. Not living on campus makes it harder to attract people to our events, as well. When you’re on campus, people frequently see who you are and know you. We don’t have that luxury. Most of the attention we attract is by word-of-mouth.”

McClendon said it’s not being off-campus that makes Alpha Phi Alpha invisible; it’s being part of the small population of ?minorities in Greek life.

“Being at IU, a predominately white institution, it’s important that we get the support to stay motivated in order to uplift each other and the rest of campus,” he said. “Not only are many ?minority chapters under the radar, but many people don’t know of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, either.”

Mayra Meza is a sister of the primarily Latina Sigma Lambda Upsilon sorority, better known as Señoritas Latinas. Like McClendon, she said being under the radar is a constant difficulty.

“Funding and awareness is always difficult when you’re a minority chapter,” she said. “People don’t know our organization or what council we’re in and they don’t understand the concept of multicultural Greeks. We’re limited at the moment, and it’s hard getting people at events and spreading the word.”

Meza said the key for minority Greek organizations to be successful is spreading awareness.

“We are constantly teaching others about our culture; teaching them to understand and accept us, as well as accepting those who are in the minority community,” she said. “We want to provide the information that people can’t get anywhere else on campus.”

Iota Phi Theta president Richard Dixon said one of the toughest aspects of minority Greek life is the size. Unlike many fraternities, Iota Phi Theta, another ?African-American chapter, has five members.

“Compared to fraternities with 100-plus members, having five members makes it harder,” he said.

But that doesn’t stop him.

“It’s important to make an impact because I’m the underdog,” he said. “I was told that my kind shouldn’t be accepted into IU. I work so hard because I want to leave a path for those who follow behind me. I want to show them that you can make a difference, no matter what people say.”

Though small and unrecognized, minority chapters in Greek life stay active through philanthropy events and other programs.

“We attend a lot of NPHC events and leadership conferences to brand ourselves the best we can,” McClendon said. “We use our chapter motto with everything: ‘Service is the key to success.’ If faculty and students recognize us, they see we are uplifting the community, whether academically or through events. Enhancing the community will bring awareness.”

Meza said although Señorita Latina’s events are catered toward Latina women, they offer support and ?acceptance for anyone who desires it.

“Our events are smaller, yet they provide information to people through community service and fun events in order to become engaged with the Latino culture at IU,” she said. “Just because we are Latino-oriented doesn’t mean we only accept Latino members. We’re here to help anyone who needs it.”

Dixon said although small, Iota Phi Theta has profoundly affected the community.

“Earlier this year, we had our I.O.T.A. (Impacting Others Through Awareness) Week,” he said. “Our events included collecting goods for the homeless and spending the day with them, hosting a discussion on ending the use of N-word, raising money for St. Jude Hospital through a basketball tournament and holding a suicide prevention event.”

Dixon believes one of the most important messages minorities try to send is to always be themselves.

“We don’t believe in changing people to fit the mold; you are who you are,” he said. “I always tell my members this: ‘Don’t dare to be different, dare to be yourself — if that doesn’t make you different, then something is wrong.’”