Wood appointed new MCPL director

The Monroe County Public Library appointed a new director today to replace its incumbent of seven years, Sarah Laughlin.

Marilyn Wood will become the director effective Feb. 2.

“Wood is a skilled leader with extensive experience in developing and leading programs to provide exceptional customer service,” a press release from the Monroe County Public Library stated.

Wood was an associate director at the library prior to her appointment and has been in that role since June 2012.

“She has been very involved in planning the Library’s future and has developed strong, positive working relationships with Board and staff,” the release read.

In her role as associate director, Wood co-chaired the library’s staff development committee, led library renovation projects and public service departments and oversaw those departments. The release described her as having been instrumental in “strengthening partnerships across the community.”

Wood isn’t a stranger to libraries. She has worked at the IU Libraries in the roles of lending services supervisor, head of Bibliographic and Database Searching Unit and head of Document Delivery Services. She also worked at Harvard University from 1995-2012, stepping into the role of associate librarian of Harvard College for Collection Management from 2005-2012.

“At Harvard, she developed a reputation for articulating strategic directions, successfully leading staff through change, implementing new technologies and services ... and expanding collaboration within the library and with peer institutions,” according to the library.

Wood is originally from Brown County, Ind., and attended IU for her B.A. and M.L.S. degrees.

When she learned of her appointment, Wood called Monroe County Public Library “an exceptional community resource,” according to the ?release.

“I care deeply about its success and am proud to work with colleagues in the Library,” Wood said in the release. “I am excited for the opportunity to lead the Library forward in this exciting and dynamic future.”