FINAL: IU 23, Purdue 16

Freshman quarterback Zander Diamont faked a handoff to his right, saw a hole and took off for a touchdown.

The score put IU up 23-16, and with only 27 seconds left, Purdue didn't have enough time to respond.

The Old Oaken Bucket will stay in Bloomington.

IU defeated Purdue for back-to-back seasons 23-16 at Memorial Stadium. It’s the first time IU has defeated Purdue back-to-back times since 1993-94.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson the first IU head coach to win the Bucket two years in a row.

Junior running back Tevin Coleman finished with 130 rushing yards on 29 carries. His yardage was enough to surpass 2,000 yards, making him the 18th player in FBS history to reach 2,000 yards in a single season.

Diamont finished 15-of-24 for 119 yards.

The win improves IU’s record to 4-8 and 1-7 in the Big Ten. Purdue falls to 3-9 and 1-7 in the Big Ten. IU moves into 13th place in the Big Ten ahead of Purdue based on tiebreaker.

IU was held scoreless in the first half and trailed 6-0 at halftime.

The Hoosiers scored 13 points in the third quarter, tying the game with 2:25 remaining in the third quarter on a double reverse by senior receiver Shane Wynn that went 41 yards for a score.

The touchdown partially made up for an earlier mistake by Wynn that set up a Boilermakers score.

Wynn muffed a punt that he misjudged to give Purdue the ball at the IU 20-yard line. Purdue managed to go just 11 yards on six plays, but the field position from the muffed punt allowed for the 26-yard converted field goal that, at the time, put Purdue up 6-0.

Coleman fumbled on the first play of the fourth quarter to give Purdue the ball at the IU 24-yard line. The Boilermakers didn’t find the end zone, but scored on a 20-yard field goal to go up 16-13 with 11:24 left.

IU would once again tie the game up on a field goal by freshman kicker Griffin Oakes at 16-16 before Diamont’s eventual game-winning score.

Sam Beishuizen