IU greek community hosts Safe Halloween

Tiny Princess Elsas and Power Rangers flooded greek row on Wednesday night for Safe Halloween, a greek-sponsored trick-or-treating event.

All four greek councils combined efforts to host the annual Safe Halloween event. Members from the Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council and Pan-Hellenic Council dressed up and handed out candy to Bloomington trick-or-treaters.

“We’re part of the IU community, but IU and Bloomington are so closely knit that it’s really important to give back to the Bloomington community, as well,” said Sarah Taylor, PHA Vice President of Community Involvement.

Local radio stations WBWBB97 and WHCC Hoosier Country 105 sponsored the event and were also present on the North Jordan Avenue extension. The IU Police Department helped direct traffic and assist trick-or-treaters crossing the street at Fee Lane and the Jordan Avenue extension.

The four councils combine their resources to fund Safe Halloween every year. This year, more than 400 bags of candy were purchased for Bloomington youth.

“The Bloomington community and the IU community have saturated each other’s lives,” Taylor said. “You see kids from all the elementary schools, and they may be thinking about being an IU Hoosier, and this is a great opportunity for them to come and for us to relate to the community that we love Bloomington as much as we love IU.”

Four chapters from each greek council set up and decorated outside of chapter houses on the Jordan extension. For Alpha Xi Delta senior Tessa Angermeier, participating in Safe Halloween is a part of a greek tradition. Angermeier has been part of Safe Halloween for three years.

“We are so glad we get to connect the student community to the Bloomington community with something we all love to celebrate,” Angermeier said in a press release.

For greek members such as Delta Gamma pledges Becca Silbar and Paige Schultes, Safe Halloween is the start of an IU tradition.

“This is one of the only times we get to interact with people outside of the IU community,” Silbar said. “I’m glad, happy our organization supports that.”

Safe Halloween also provided an unusual opportunity for some greek members. The women of Delta Gamma had the opportunity to meet the child from Riley Hospital they will be sponsoring at IU Dance Marathon.

“They (the Bloomington community) take us into their homes,” Schultes said. “This is one opportunity for us to give back.”