McRobbie to meet with universities in Turkey

IU President Michael McRobbie left for Turkey on Sunday to visit Turkish universities and present the Thomas Hart Benton Medallion to an IU alumnus.

IU has been a leader in Turkish language and culture studies for more than 70 years, McRobbie said in a University press release.

McRobbie will be the first sitting IU president to travel to Turkey since Herman B Wells visited in 1955, according to the University.

McRobbie will be joined on his trip by IU Vice President for International Affairs David Zaret and IU first lady Laurie Burns McRobbie.

During the trip, McRobbie will visit multiple Turkish universities to forge relationships abroad, according to the University.

On Tuesday, McRobbie will sign a Mevlana agreement with Bogaziçi University.

This agreement will provide funding for student and faculty exchanges from Bogaziçi University as part of a program through Turkey’s government designed to facilitate exchanges between Turkey’s universities and their counterparts worldwide, according to the University.

IU and Bogaziçi University have established relationships in many areas, including anthropology, philanthropic studies and Turkish studies, according to the University.

McRobbie will also visit universities in Turkey’s capital, Ankara. He will meet with Middle East Technical University to facilitate faculty exchanges in education, according to the University .

McRobbie will also meet with officials from Ankara University, which plays a large role in IU’s Turkish Flagship Program, according to the University.

Ankara University also hosts IU students participating in intensive language programs.

The Turkish language program at IU came about in the 1940s, and its success is credited with the advent of other IU language programs, including Russian, according to the University.

IU’s Turkish flagship program allows students to develop proficiency in Turkish while pursuing another degree.

While in Turkey, McRobbie will also present the Thomas Hart Benton Medallion to Erdal Yildirim, the general manager of the Vehbi Koç Foundation and an IU alumnus, according to the University.

The medal will be presented at an alumni reception and dinner Saturday, according to the University.

The Vehbi Koç Foundation is one of Turkey’s largest charitable organizations, which offers grants to support programs in education, healthcare and culture.

The Benton Medallion is given to people who have distinguished themselves in public service and exemplified the values of IU, according to the University.

The IU Goes to Turkey blog will be updated throughout the trip and can be found at global.iu.edu/blog/turkey-2014/ .