Despite IU's no-smoking policy, many students still smoke on campus

Freshman James Freeborn smokes a cigarette Sunday near the smokers' table outside of Wright Quadrangle.

IU’s policy states that smoking is not ?allowed anywhere on campus.

Why then, clean air proponents ask, can smokers still be seen lighting up?

Perhaps lack of proper information is to blame. Sophomore William Osterholt Jr. , a smoker, said he originally knew nothing of the campus’s no-smoking policy.

“The only thing I know about the smoking policy through my own experience is I’ve been told that I need to be on a public sidewalk or on a public street, although I don’t adhere to that,” Osterholt said.

The current text of the policy, which became active in January 2008 , is available ?online.

The provisions listed state that no smoking or sale of tobacco is allowed on any IU campus, though students can smoke inside a privately owned vehicle. Smoking inside or within eight feet of any building is strictly ?prohibited.

IU Police Department Chief of Police Laury Flint said the key to ensuring the ?policy will be respected is proper education ?and information.

“Much like alcohol, there is plenty of public awareness and enforcement for violations,” Flint said. “I wish we knew the answers to what would make people stop abusing both.”

Osterholt said he believes the policy is unfair to those who are conscious of how their smoking affects those around them.

"(The policy) is not something I agree with but, again, I’m a smoker,” Osterholt said. “If we are outside, we should at least have places we should go, although, that being the case, we should just be allowed to smoke. I mean, we’re outside.”

Sophomore Maggie Kroh , a non-smoker, said she has no issue with students being allowed to smoke outdoors in designated smoking areas.

“Most smokers I’ve come in contact with have been considerate of other people,” Kroh said. “If they had a place to go it’d just make it easier for everyone.”

Osterholt said he feels he is respectful when he smokes around others.

“I try to not be walking through where there appears to be a congregation of ?people,” Osterholt said. “I try to give a wide berth so that I’m not going to blow smoke in ?somebody’s face.”

Flint said the provisions are in place with the intent to keep students and faculty safe from the effects of secondhand smoke.

IDS Asks: What do you think of the campus smoking policy?

“Smoking is known to adversely affect health, not only the health of those who partake but also those around them,” Flint said. “It is not only the law, but the University is responsible for protecting its faculty, staff and students in any way possible.”

Kroh said she believed the tables outside of dormitories acted as designated smoking zones, though the policy does not corroborate this assumption. Technically, there are no approved smoking areas on campus.

Jennifer Kincaid , chief of staff and director of policy administration, said ?enforcement of the policy hinges on vigilance on the part of IUPD and the faculty.

“Our duty is if someone is smoking to ask them to leave and, if they didn’t leave, at that point someone could be subject to an infraction,” ?Kincaid said.

Flint said anyone who does not obey the policy should be held responsible to the fullest extent of University discipline.

“Violators must be held accountable,” Flint said. “One violation is a learning experience, but two or more is insubordination.”

Flint also said those caught smoking on campus should comply with instruction of those who ask them to stop.

“It would be great if smokers would extinguish their cigarette, apologize and go about their business when reminded that there is no smoking on campus,” Flint said.

“The unfortunate reality is that they often get defensive and even ?confrontational.”

Osterholt said he has only complied with instruction from those who ask him to stop smoking and, though he doesn’t agree with the policy, he sees no point in starting an argument about the issue.

“Who wouldn’t move, either?” Osterholt asked. “If somebody came up to me and asked me to move, what am I going to say? No?”

Kincaid said the existing policy recently underwent changes in accordance with Indiana law to include ?electronic cigarettes. She said because so little was known about their effects, they were not included in the original policy.

“We feel good about that decision,” Kincaid said. “Last month the World Health Organization recommended banning e-cigarettes indoors due to the effect of the chemicals being in the air.”

Kincaid said she believes further enforcement of this policy in the future will only have positive effects on smokers and non-smokers alike.

“It’s supposed to be about civility and respect for others and, in asking people not to smoke, we hope that that will guide this issue,” ?Kincaid said.