IU adds tight end for 2015

IU football picked up the eighth member of its 2015 recruiting class with commitment from Austin Dorris on June 23.

The 6-foot-5, 226-pound tight end had IU at the top of his list going into his official visit. After attending IU football’s one-day camp, nothing had changed.

Dorris becomes the sixth commit on the offensive side of the ball and IU’s first tight end in the class.

The Shadyside, Ohio, native is also the third recruit from the state of Ohio. A three-star prospect, he is ranked 50th in the state by ? Rivals.com .

Dorris announced his commitment on Twitter.

“Words cannot describe how excited I am to announce this, I have committed to Indiana University! #GoHoosiers #IUFB,” he tweeted.

Although he has been recruited as a tight end, Dorris spent the past two years flip-flopping between positions, as well as sides of the ball.

His sophomore year of high school, Dorris had 29 catches for 510 yards and seven touchdowns. Defensively, he had 53 tackles, two sacks and three interceptions as a linebacker. He also recovered two fumbles for touchdowns.

Just a year later, Dorris was the starting quarterback.

He ran for 1,310 yards on 107 carries, scored 19 touchdowns and went 35-72 passing for 600 yards and six scores. As a cornerback, he had two interceptions for touchdowns and 30 tackles.

For Dorris, coming to IU means coming to a school with 10 times as many people as his hometown of fewer than 4,000.

That won’t be the only adjustment for Dorris as he adapts to playing just a single position for the Hoosiers in 2015.

Since Wednesday, IU has added four players to the 2015 roster. Dorris’ announcement came less than 24 hours after offensive tackle Brandon Knight committed to IU.

Dorris chose IU despite offers from Toledo, Kent State, Marshall, Ohio University, Western Michigan and Colgate.