IUSA proposes new lounge for IMU

IU Student Association’s executive meeting agenda this week included plans for a new Union Lounge, talk of an update in sexual assault fund runs and a new initiative that would provide recycling bins to every dorm room on
campus.

IUSA has presented their proposal to the directors of the Indiana Memorial Union for a Union Lounge, a hangout spot in the IMU with the goal of keeping students on campus. 

“The Lounge is really exciting because it kind of came about so that students and administrators could have a place where they can go and hang out,” Michelle Chung, IUSA chief of policy, said. “Starbucks is nice, but a lot of people just study there and you can’t really have a drink with your friends.”

Chung said the Lounge would be located in the old Trustees office, at the top of the stairs from the hotel entrance.

During the evenings, Chung said, the Lounge would hold events like slam poetry readings and crafts to promote students staying on campus.

They would aim to get the beer and food from local Bloomington locations.
“The point is to bring out some traditions in IU,” Chung said.

The next step, Chung said, is going to the provost, presenting their proposal to her and then taking it to the Board of Trustees.

Chung said she predicted that the Lounge would be up and running in about a year.

Additionally, representatives from IUSA’s Culture of Care introduced the idea of expanding the sexual assault fund to donate to different student organizations on campus that were involved in raising awareness of sexual violence.

The sexual assault fund is optional and does not use student fees.

At the beginning of the year, students have the opportunity to donate this fund on Onestart by checking a box. 

Currently, this money goes toward the Bloomington Middle Way House and Raising Awareness of Interactions in Sexual Encounters, a student organization on campus that aims to educate IU students about sexual assault, relationship violence and gendered communication. 

“There are other groups that have interest in sexual assault prevention program and we want to make sure that, as a representative of the students, everyone has access,” Co-chair of Culture of Care Andy Braden said.

Braden said these decisions were made in past years by IUSA, and Culture of Care was focusing on making the fund more student-oriented because it’s students’ money.

“You should always be reviewing what you do,” Braden said.

Another big initiative discussed was a plan to eventually implement recycling bins in every room of every dorm on campus.

Although some of the newer dorms like Rose, Union Street and Briscoe have this feature, many of the older dorms do not.

IUSA is currently working with Residential Programs and Services to do a trial run in Teter this semester.

The trial would run on a pledge system, where students could ask for a bin if they want to recycle.

“We thought it would be a better idea if we had people that want to recycle pick up bins and do the recycling, so we’re making them more proactive,” Chung said. “Which I think is a better route.”

Follow reporter Dani Castonzo on Twitter at @Dani_Castonzo.