student life

IUSF, Union Board show Little 500 film for freshmen

The IU Student Foundation, Union Board and the Office of First-Year Experience Programs introduced IU freshmen to a long-standing IU tradition with the launch of their “Breaking Away” viewing party program Sunday.

The viewing party served as a freshmen introduction to the annual Little 500 bicycle race, the largest college intramural event in the country.

At the event, students and Bloomington residents watched the movie “Breaking Away,” about four teenage high school graduates who decide to race in the college Little 500 bicycle race.

IUSF students plan and execute the nation’s largest collegiate bike race every spring on the Bloomington campus.

Union Board reminded the audience to fill out a survey about who they wanted to come to IU for this year’s Little 500 concert.

“Really it was about the Bucket List initiative,” said Amanda Hammerman, spirit and traditions director for the Union Board.

As part of the FYE Bucket List Programming initiative, watching “Breaking Away” has become a tradition on campus. By attending this event students were able to check “Watch ‘Breaking Away’ and point out familiar campus landmarks” off the FYE bucket list.

Lilly Moore of the freshman student council committee for IUSF said the event was meant to bring back the spirit and traditions of Little 500.

“It’s not just a week of partying, it’s for this, too,” Moore said. “It’s to remember why we do Little 500.”

IUSF handed out information about the history of Little 500 and organized a Q&A about potential involvement in the organization.

“We teach them about the IU Student Foundation, the IU foundation itself and history about the Little 500 race,” said Sam Alderfer, member of the freshman council committee. “We help them develop leadership skills and have résumé workshops. This is our big program of the year.”

Moore and Hammerman said UB and IUSF were very happy with the turnout for the event.

“It’s a Sunday, almost finals week, there’s two feet of snow on the ground and still freshman are here experiencing this movie for the first time, and that’s what this event was about,” Hammerman said.

Follow reporter Torie Schumacher on Twitter @shoe_torie.