student life

Final waste disposal May 10-11

For the fifth straight year, Electronic Waste Collection Days will take place May 10-11 at IU Bloomington and IU South Bend. It also marks the final year of these annual days at IU.

The project started through the IU Office of Sustainability and had a goal of increasing opportunities for proper disposal of e-waste, according to a press release. Now that the District in Monroe County offers free, year-round e-waste recycling, the E-Waste Collection days are no longer needed.

The campus has shifted its focus to public awareness now that the City of Bloomington sponsors e-waste events and IU Surplus Stores process campus e-waste, according to the release.

“E-Waste Days was conceived by a student sustainability intern to answer an urgent need for responsible recycling of this hazardous material,” Bill Brown, director of sustainability for IU Bloomington, said in the press release. “We are pleased to see how dramatically the amount of e-waste has declined over the years in this annual collection and also happy that more options for local, year-round e-waste recycling have come online to take its place.”

Over the past four years, IU e-waste recycling events have collected 2,267,000 pounds of electronic equipment on the IU Bloomington, IU South Bend and Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis campuses, according to the release.

-Makenzie Holland