student life

College students see demise of dating culture

More often than not, instead of dating, college students find themselves casually “hooking up” and not establishing actual relationships. 

“Over the past few decades, dating culture in America has changed dramatically,” said Justin Garcia, CTRD Research Fellow at the Kinsey Institute. “This is especially true among college students. The days of young men courting young women in her parents’ sitting room is long over.”

According to a study by the Institute for American Values, hooking up is a way for people to be vague.

This could mean that a couple simply kissed, had sex or something else but no one really knows for sure, according to a press release about an IU study. When individuals say they “hooked up”. it is a way to dance around saying what really happened, receiving less judgment.

According to a press release from January, students would rather date, but it just doesn’t happen. Instead, students often “hook up” and think about dating after the fact.
Although, it’s uncertain if hooking up is really the cause for the decline in the dating life of college students, Garcia said.

“It’s unclear if hook up culture has impacted declines in traditional dating,” Garcia said. “Or whether declines in traditional dating has opened the door for the emergence of hook-up culture in all its forms — from casual sex after a party to ongoing friends-with-benefits relationships. I’m inclined to think the latter has been the case.”

But even with the sharp decline in dating, when dates do occur, Garcia said college students still look for the same things. 

“When young people date today, they look for the same things our ancestors did — the pursuit of companionship and love,” Garcia said. 

Technology is another factor affecting dating culture. 

“One issue that people talk about is a loss of communication skills,” psychology professor Bernardo Carducci said. “There is so much communication online.”
Carducci said students need to communicate if they want a successful dating life and get out from behind the computer and get involved.

“Get involved where you share values with people,” he said. “Those are the kinds of things that create strong relationships. Develop strong ties with friends and organizations on campus.”

Often when people start hooking up, Carducci said it’s because they’re looking for a place to fit in. They want to be a part of a group, and by drinking and hooking up often, they think they’re fitting in with people.

“There’s a natural tendency to want to belong,” Carducci said. “Often we see freshmen doing this. They’re trying to fit in.”

Garcia said there are steps students can take to avoid the hook-up culture.

“Be honest with yourself and potential partners. If one just wants a hook-up, then say so,” Garcia said. “But, if you’re serious about dating, then be yourself, be honest and enjoy the push and pull of human nature’s most exciting game — the pursuit of love.”