education

Online auction proceeds to help area schools

Those who want to help Monroe County schools can bid online for a variety of items, ranging in value from $30 to $4,000.

The Foundation of Monroe County Community Schools is auctioning a free pet adoption at Bloomington Animal Shelter, a five-day vacation in Cancun and an opportunity for up to 10 people to play basketball with former IU men’s basketball players.

Foundation representative Sara Neeley said she hopes such priceless experiences will attract more bids.

“It’s all for the schools,” Neeley said. “Proceeds will go to grants, literacy projects and STEM (science, technology, engineering and math).”

Neeley said former IU basketball player Haris Mujezinovic, who played from 1995 to 1997, first agreed to play basketball with whoever bid the most for the opportunity.

After Mujezinovic, nine other former IU players signed on, including Calbert Cheaney, Brian Evans and Matt Nover.

The opening bid for the basketball game is $1,000, and bidders must be 18 years or older.

Other items listed as “priceless” include a football signed by Indianapolis Colts punter Pat McAfee, four tickets to the Big Ten tournament and a scholarship for a high school senior, named for the highest bidder.

Nick’s English Hut also donated 16 pieces of “priceless” memorabilia, some of which cannot be purchased anywhere else.

“I’ve got stuff people would like, pieces from the bar,” Nick’s owner Gregg Rago said.
Rago said people who have spent a lot of time at Nick’s and IU will love the opportunity to own a piece of the community.

Although Nick’s could sell the goods privately and make money, Rago said helping the foundation is a more worthy cause.

“Some people are greedy,” Rago said. “But this is a great opportunity to support Bloomington.”

Eligible participants can place bids online at biddingforgood.com/fmccs.
The auction ends Dec. 10.