sports softball

Softball puts win streak on line

Softball vs. Iowa

The IU softball team travels to Evanston, Ill.,Saturday for a two-game series with Big Ten rival Northwestern.  

The Hoosiers (34-15, 14-2) enter the game riding a 13-game win streak in conference play and have won 14 straight games overall. IU finishes the season at home against rival Purdue next weekend.

“I feel like we’re playing as a team well and we have a lot of confidence right now,” Abraham said. “Obviously (senior) Morgan (Melloh) is an amazing pitcher and she’s been throwing really well, but also when one person isn’t hitting well in a day, someone else steps up.”

As the Hoosiers head into the last four games of the regular season, they have a first-place tie with No. 2 Michigan for first place in the Big Ten. With all of the success for the Hoosiers this year after only winning 12 games last year, many are shocked by their success, but sophomore Samantha Heyman said she feels the team always had confidence in their abilities.

“Last year we would go through games, and it would be like, ‘Don’t lose this game,’ and this year we are playing to win and we have so much talent and we are so together, I think that confidence has really done a lot for us,” Heyman said.

Abraham said she feels a tough early schedule really helped the team.

“I feel like we played real tough competition this year, and I feel like it definitely did prepare us mentally and physically,” Abraham said. “I feel like once we got that one big win, it just clicked, and we like to win. It’s something we don’t want to stop doing.”