Obama: I need every Indiana student

Senator campaigns at Assembly Hall

Georgia Perry

Barack Obama told thousands of screaming, cheering IU students Wednesday night that he needs their vote in Tuesday’s primary election.

In a rally at Assembly Hall that was one part Hoosier Hysteria, one part rock concert and one part political theater, the Democratic presidential candidate implored his audience to cast their ballots early before they skip town for IU’s summer recess.

“I need every Indiana student to vote for me,” he said.

And his audience could hardly have been more receptive. The 13,000-strong crowd was raucous, to say the least. 

Despite the throngs of adoring students, Obama’s speech was nearly identical to the one he’s been giving across Indiana since his first appearance in Plainfield, Ind., in March.

Perhaps the Illinois senator’s biggest applause line was his proclamation, “It’s now time to make college more affordable.”

Obama’s plan involves giving an annual $4,000 tuition credit to every college student. In order to qualify for the money, students must perform community service. 

Most in the throngs of IU students and community members who showed up to see Obama were already proud supporters of him. 

Law student Rochelle Warren said she has already read both of Obama’s books and likes his views on the world and his policies. 

But some weren’t so impressed. 

Sophomore Matthew Spence, who described himself as a Republican, said he appreciated Obama’s stance on ridding Washington of undue special interest influence, however, “I think it’s the same speech that we’ve been hearing from politicians for 100 years.”