Do underwires really cause breast cancer?

Bras added to list of possible risk- causing agents

Rumors abound about the causes of cancer – cell phones, deodorant and certain foods have all been suspects. The latest: Some say the underwire in bras might cause breast cancer.\nAllison Young, a program associate with the national Breast Cancer Action advocacy group, said the book “Dressed to Kill: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras” explores the theory that bras slow the flow of fluids and keep toxins in the \nbreast area.\n“That theory has not been studied much,” Young said. “There are a number of misconceptions about what can cause breast cancer.” \nBreast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in women, after lung cancer. According to the American Cancer Society’s Web site, risk factors include gender, age, family medical history, obesity, exposure to radiation and race.\n Young said people think deodorants and antiperspirants, unwire bras, miscarriages or abortions or bruising breast tissue can cause cancer, but none of these theories have been proven. \n“Even though doctors cannot explain why one person gets cancer and another does not, studies have not found a link between the two,” \nshe said. \nJunior Kristy Costello said she doesn’t believe external factors such as the underwires in bras cause breast cancer.\n“When I think of things causing breast cancer, I think of internal things like diet, smoking, exercise amount, genetics, etc.,” Costello said. “I don’t think of it being something external like an underwire bra or really any bra, for that matter.” \nJunior Emily Ferguson agreed.\n“As far as the underwire bra, it sounds like a hoax to me,” Ferguson said. “It almost reminds me of one of those e-mail forwards that people send around.”\n To help prevent cancer, Young said all women need to stay active, eat healthy and be adamant about self breast exams and yearly mammograms, especially those older than 40. She said women should let their doctors know if they have a previous history of cancer. Any noticeable breast changes, such as a new lump or skin change, need to be reported to a physician. \n“If there was or wasn’t proof, I probably wouldn’t switch bras,” Ferguson said. “It would just be a lot of money to buy all new bras.”