Stewart’s call for war Hitler-esque

When I read Brian Stewart’s column “No pity for me” in the IDS on Tuesday, March 27, it read like hate speech to me. I reacted to Brian’s call for perpetual war against “those who can only be called barbarians” and his denigration of his professor and classroom experiences by calling the IDS and stating to Assistant opinion editor Ayesha Awan that Brian’s rhetoric sounded like a speech Hitler had made. Ms. Awan explained to me that since Brian did not call for “total annihilation” his call to perpetual war was not akin to a speech by Hitler.\nHitler, of course, is quoted as saying, “Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live.”\nWar is the ultimate political act. War has been used by the United States throughout our history. To enjoy the benefits of our status as superpower nation and decry war in all its forms is hypocritical. However, the point of “war” is to win your objective. (For example, we won the war against the regime of Saddam Hussein).\nEmpires fall when mired in an occupation that saps their power (money, prestige, army and so forth). \nIn the IU business school, I was taught to study the classic “The Art of War” by Sun Tzu. Also relevant is the Chinese proverb that states: “When the finger points at the moon, the idiot looks at the finger.”

Dave Stewart\nIU employee

More

LETTER: New arts leader named

I have always had a special affinity for art in places where art “isn’t supposed to be.” Certainly, most of us enjoy an afternoon browsing a gallery or museum, but there is something really nice about finding art in unexpected places.

LETTER: Disability harassment happens on our campus

I would like to bring to the attention of the IDS the fact that harassment of disabled students occurs regularly at IU Bloomington. I personally know of physically impaired students who have been harassed in Ballantine Hall for taking the elevator up or down one floor.  And they aren’t just harassed by fellow students; faculty and staff are guilty, too.  Just because someone looks healthy, doesn’t mean that they are.  Invisible disabilities are any of a number of chronic conditions that significantly impair normal activities of daily living while showing no outward signs of the illness. I also know of a physically impaired student who was made fun of recently for riding a scooter in Forest Residence Center.  This is a student who can barely walk—and only for short distances—and only when feeling physically up to it. This same student was also harassed in the Forest parking lot by someone who didn’t think a handicap parking space should be used by a disabled student, even though the appropriate IU parking permit was displayed in the car.  Harassment may be reported to the IU Incident Teams at  (812) 855-8188 or incident@indiana.edu. I mention these incidents because they happened to students I know.  And if they can happen to them, they can happen to anyone.  I ask the entire campus community: How would you feel if someone you cared about was ridiculed or harassed because they had a disability?  How does it feel to learn that members of the campus community, whether you know them or not, have to deal with harassment at IU Bloomington on a daily basis? I urge us all to think before speaking, show some Hoosier compassion, and offer to help instead of contributing to an intolerant environment.  I also urge the IDS to investigate and report on the harassment of disabled students on this campus. As an IU alumna, IU employee, and IU parent, I hate to think of Indiana University’s reputation being tarnished by charges of harassment of any kind. Melissa Thorne Bloomington