When Cults' self-released seven-inch first went up Bandcamp in 2010, few predicted that their debut album would be released on an imprint of Columbia Records in 2011 and they would be an elite live act in 2012, but that's what happened. The songs were great, of course, but in the rarely meritocratic world of major record labels, that means little. So maybe the cuteness of singer Madeline Follin and guitarist Brian Oblivion as a couple had a little bit to do with why execs picked up on them. Big deal. Today, they're here, and based on the strength of their live performances, they will be for a very, very long time.

A set at Rhino's on Saturday night following the meh-ness that was the UK's Spectrals only confirmed my suspicions that they're one of the best live bands on the planet right now. Their sugary noise-pop doesn't necessarily seem like it would translate perfectly to the stage, but they've painstakingly rearranged the already excellent tracks from their record into powerful tours-de-force for the stage.

When I saw the band play at South By Southwest Festival in Austin last month, they were very good, but they seemed cramped on a too-small stage, and Follin had to reach for some notes that the atmosphere of SXSW had apparently taken out of her. These issues evaporated on the Rhino's stage. Follin, Oblivion and the three members of the Cults touring band absolutely dominated the stage. Even the light show managed to add to the experience despite the very obvious limitations of the venue, and Follin's vocals were incredible, even at tricky points like the goosebump-inspiring last chorus of "You Know What I Mean."

Cults played every song from their first LP except "Bad Things," plus a Leonard Cohen cover and a B-side, and despite the relative shortness of the set - 45 minutes is a generous estimate - everything clicked so well that it was hard to care. For me, it was the best live performance yet in a year already full of good ones. Oblivion remarked that the last time they played Bloomington it was to 15 people in a coffee shop (Rachael's Cafe in 2010). After this show, it's hard to imagine they could play anywhere smaller than the Buskirk next time they're in town.

Complete Setlist:

Intro

Abducted

Slow Song

Most Wanted

You Know What I Mean

Walk At Night

Bumper

Never Saw The Point

Rave On

Everybody Knows

Walk At Night

Go Outside

Oh My God

Post by Brad Sanders; Photography by Steven Arroyo