Magnetic South Revue

feat. Apache Dropout, Circuit Des Yeux, thee Open Sex, Mad Monk, Sitar Outreach Ministry, Purple Seven

@ The Bishop

Wednesday, March 7

8 p.m.

Free

18+

Encompassing all of these bands into a single preview is like trying to render all the tastes of an eclectic salad to a glowering Gordon Ramsay: you're already daunted at the task as is, and because this particular salad is composed of everything to moaning synthesized soprano and head-bang funk, you have no idea where the hell to even begin. We can start with the top with the Bloomington and Oakland, CA-based label Magnetic South Tape Productions whose pastiche of featured bands rocking mad psychedelic vocals and names like Sitar Outreach Ministry and Friar Sonny und die Notorischen Berlinwallflowers. Visit their Facebook page to be impressed by the sheer bulk of diverse and widespread bands signed. The six of these that will be gracing Wednesday's Bishop include firstly Apache Dropout; a three-piece featuring a sound that's like a grungier, more amplified (and better) version of Scott Pilgrim's Sex Bob-Ombs. Then there's the casual strumming, eerie melancholia of Circuit des Yeux with a low, quasi-Sinead O'Connor/ Serj Tankien vocal blend. Thee Open Sex reigns with plenty of sexually charged electronic droning and shady guitar brooding. John Terrill (alias, Mad Monk; homage to Rasputin?) relinquishes his group Soul Celtics for a charged solo performance, and Sitar Outreach Ministry features a minimalistic faux-film score sound with, well, sitars. I don't know what to make of the last performance, Purple Seven which is, of course, all the more incentive to catch this dynamic lineup at 8 PM tomorrow at the Bishop and "get LOADED" one more glorious time before Spring Break.

Post by Brandon Cook