Paper Diamond is on the rise, and he shined last night at the Bluebird. He brought his electronic revolution to an anxious and loud crowd that happily received his music. My body was in limbo during the whole show trying to decide whether to jump up and down like a rowdy high schooler or to be calm and let my body sway to the sweeping synths. Whichever path I took, I was engaged during the whole show. Roadie Colby shouted to me about Paper Diamond's rise in popularity as well as his record deal. His claim: "from the bottom to the top, Paper Diamond don't stop." I couldn't have said it better myself.

Alex B (Paper Diamond), based out of Colorado, controlled the crowd and got them moving. There must be something in the air in Colorado that allows these people to create such elegant electronic music, especially in a time where it's easy for anyone to do. I remember the first time I heard Pretty Lights. My mind was blown to say the least, and as a musician myself I could relate to the complexity of the music as well as how seamlessly the samples and different instruments coexisted. I knew before even downloading Paper Diamond's first EP Levitate that I would find that same relaxing yet upbeat vibe in his music.

Paper Diamond's show last night at the 'Bird was out of control, but in a good kind of way. Beyond the glowing hula-hoops and aggressively swaying arms, the music radiated and bounced from wall to wall in sync with the general bounce of the crowd. He came to entertain, and he did just that with his organic and original blend of dubstep and house.

The show itself was electrifying, and the crowd set the tempo for the night in response to Alex's beats. He had composure and stage presence behind his table of gear. Proper showmanship combined with heavy bass and a seizure-inducing light show made everything about his show gel together fashionably. Paper Diamond brought the house down. Up and down. Repeatedly.

Post and photo by Julian Eisner