During an initial listening of Kam Kama's new album, The Tiled House, I wasn't impressed. But it's funny, because I have never been impressed the first time I hear the music that I come to like the most.

After listening to the album on repeat for a day, I sat down to listen to each track one final time before writing this review.

The music is genuinely good; Kam Kama is certainly among the best bands in Bloomington, if not the best.

Learn more about Kam Kama and where you can listen to the new album, The Tiled House, after the break....

The first track, Halfway Motel, is the highlight of the album. It is clear that this is a mature band with a defined aesthetic. Every element of the song comes together to form a cohesive sound, cumulating in a song that is simply enjoyable to sit back and listen to.

Mean and San Miguel are also outstanding. Both songs demonstrate the bands ability to highlight the talent of both their vocalist and instrumentalist- a balance many bands never achieve.

The second track, Called Up, is a bit too disjointed in composition for my taste. However, it is clear that this is the effect the band wished to create; I've just never found organized noise to be compelling. This is by no means meant to reflect negatively on the track, as it is skillfully arranged to achieve a complex ends.

Overall, the album is a great success. The band has a clearly defined aesthetic within which they operate with precision.

It seems as though this is not the last we'll hear from Kam Kama.

Check out the album for yourself here.

Post by Lauren Kreiser