Tuesday's Indiana Forest Alliance benefit concert at The Bishop was an intimate evening. Jefferson St. Parade Band trumpeted into the venue around nine and set the energy level at a high for the night. Always blasting smiles onto listener's faces and enthusiasm into their ears, this gang of marching band musicians has some serious charisma. Ten dollar pitchers of Three Floyds kept local music buffs and curious friends chattering while a performance by Sheloaf and the Bats Outta Heck commenced.

This female channeling of Meatloaf's classics inspired lighter waving and cacophonous sing-alongs from their apparently dedicated followers. Sheloaf's reception was unanimously positive, even from the clearly confused patrons who lack sufficient Meatloaf knowledge (I include myself here). I did hear one of the only Meatloaf songs in my repertoire , "I Would Do Anything For Love." I must say it was definitely a searing rendition.

Later on, an animated DJ, Shy Guy Says, spun some dubstep for a nearly empty room. A few stragglers wandered in to peep the scene, but unfortunately for this masked musician, the crowd was not in a "womping" mood last night.

Ocean Grown melted down the closing minutes of the concert. The trio ripped through guitar, bass, and drum solos while showcasing their individual prowess at their individual instruments. Guitarist Kyle "Tex" Pedigo showed no mercy on his glorious eight-string guitar.

After this cozy evening, fans were left with the bellies full of tasty libations and heads brimming with quality tunes, all for a good cause.

Post by Rachel Hanley