An Horse

w/ The Broderick & You're a Liar

@ The Bishop

Wednesday, September 21

9 p.m.

$6 advance/$8 doors

18+

Australian duo An Horse will bring their quirky brand of indie pop to The Bishop next Wednesday, supported by locals The Broderick and You're a Liar. It will be the band's first-ever appearance in Bloomington, and it comes in support of their most recent LP, Walls.

Live Buzz caught up with guitarist/vocalist Kate Cooper from her Toronto home just days before she departed for Austin where An Horse is playing the world-renowned Austin City Limits festival. She was calm, collected, and waiting for a package from UPS that was getting uncomfortably late. Most of all, she seemed excited for the tour to begin and to hit some markets that haven't yet been fortunate enough to see the live power of An Horse.

And it all started with Tegan and Sara.

"We weren't really a band before that tour," Cooper said of An Horse's 2008 North American jaunt opening for the Sisters Quin, who were then supporting the indie pop classic The Con. "We were, but basically it was just me and Damon [Cox, drums], and we went to a record store together because it was air-conditioned and we decided to play some music afterward. We just gave them our demo because they always wanted to know what I was up to and they'd always give me feedback, and a couple of weeks later Sara emailed me and said 'You wanna go on tour with that An Horse thing?'"

Now Cooper and Cox are signed to Mom + Pop Records on the strength of that tour and their excellent debut EP, Not Really Scared, and they're headlining North American club tours. Cooper still hesitates to call Walls the album that "broke" the band, though.

"Well, let me tell you. It hasn't broken us. It's tough out there for everyone except Adele and Foo Fighters right now," she said, before adjusting her line of thinking. "But no, the record's going well. I'm being silly. We went from doing demos, really making music for the fun of it, to this in two years. We were more deliberate. We had pre-production. We demoed extensively. We had A&R people, and it was a very good experience and we're proud of it."

An Horse's set will likely pull primarily from last year's Rearrange Beds and Walls, the band's two proper full-lengths to date.

Tickets can be purchased at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater or Landlocked Music for $6, or on the night of the show at The Bishop for $8.

Hear "Swallow the Sea" from Walls here.

Post by Brad Sanders