Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson's maudlin, tortured lyrics and gentle guitar strumming left audience members in a somber reverie when he headlined with openers, Sam Lowry & the Circumstance and Red Bird last Saturday night at the Cinemat.

Booked by the Spirit of '68, Robinson was expected to perform songs from his eponymous long player released by Say Hey Records last summer. Robinson's LP garnered critical attention due to recording with the help of Chris Taylor and Christopher Bear of Grizzly Bear, according to the event preview.

Although scheduled to begin at 8:00 p.m., doors opened at 8:30 p.m., letting in audience members. About 70 spectators bundled to the brim in warm winter attire filed in and lined the walls of the intimate setting, eagerly anticipating the performances.

Freshman Bradley Williams said he was "expecting a performance worthy of Spin Magazine's praise." Recently, Spin.com reported that Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson has a "a killer live presence," and gave his record a positive review.

At 9:00 p.m., after introducing their new violinist to the audience and strumming the beginning to "Start Me up" by the Rolling Stones, Sam Lowry opened their act with playful sarcasm seemingly towards Doug Benson, when he said the band was ready "to make pithy comments about celebrities." Doug Benson of VH1's Best Week Ever and Super High Me performed a competing comedy routine at the Funny Bone at the same time as the show.

Sam Lowry then played a short set of mournful and melancholy songs, well accented by the superb strings of both their cellist and new violinist, who also sang backing vocals. With simple guitar picking, a functional drumbeat and incidental strings, Sam Lowry & the Circumstance performed a solid set comparable to musicians like Nick Cave, according to WIUX DJ Joshua Kraus. During the middle of Sam Lowry's set, Robinson arrived and watched them finish from the back of the room.

After Sam Lowry finished, the second opening act, Bloomington's local Red Bird, took to the stage to perform another short evocative set, at 9:40 p.m. The lead singer of Red Bird kept the atmosphere light by remarking often in between songs about performing and fellow acts.

He joked about Robinson's long moniker, proposing a new nickname when he said, "MBA Robinson, I made him a new name." Red Bird's performance was a high point in the night for the entranced audience members.

"Red Bird was my favorite part of the night, as usual, mainly due to the lead singer's intense vocal delivery and guitar skills," said Sophomore Adam Peterson.

At about 10:30, Robinson took to the stage with David Morrin to the close the night with a stirring set of dirges and personal laments. Robinson opened his set with a politically minded song to match the fervent atmosphere surrounding the upcoming inauguration of President-elect Obama.

"Last night I dedicated this song to the 43rd President of the United States," Robinson said before performing a cover of Leonard Cohen's "The Butcher."

Robinson then played out a diverse set, lyrically confessing a life of lonesome introspection, self-doubt, drug abuse and hopes for a better a future. Other than songs from his LP, Robinson's set featured a smattering of Leonard Cohen covers and a rendition of Otis Redding's "The Dock of the Bay." Robinson's charismatic stage presence complimented his strained vocals and creaky acoustic guitar.

Throughout the set, Robinson and Morrin switched off playing acoustic guitar, electric guitar and the keyboard, creating a balanced and soft sound.

"David Morrin has been playing with me for three years," Robinson said. "He is the only consistent band member I've had."

Robinson went on to explain the machinations and frustrations of touring and keeping inventory.

"The [band's] van broke down in Ohio because of the cold," he said. "Also, I lost the set list--I'm winging it."

Robinson kept up the political theme of his performance, when he dedicated Leonard Cohen's "Old Revolution"--a song about hope in a time of tribulation--to President-elect Obama.

After an impassioned show, Robison ended the night with a rheumy piano solo. Upon receiving a booming applause, Robinson walked off stage and into the audience to speak with fans and spectators about his music and expectations for the future.

"I'm excited about my next record," Robinson said. "It is produced by Kyp Malone of TV On The Radio--and he sings all over it."

With naked anticipation and ambition written on his face, Robinson ended the night looking forward to the future.

Photos by Nick Lembo: