The Hoosiers improved to 4-4 this season after defeating Xavier and Western Michigan both by a score of 6-1 on Friday.

A common theme in both matches was the success of the IU's underclassmen in both singles and doubles play.

In the first match against Xavier the lone doubles team win came from the sophomore pairing of Samuel Monette and Daniel Bednarczyk. Both Bednarczyk and Monette continued their success against Xavier by winning their respective singles matches in straight sets.

Many times losing the doubles point results in a momentum surge for the opponent. Sophomore Elliot Yee did everything he could to prevent this by jumping out to an early 4-0 lead in the first set.

"I just tried to give as much energy to the team as I could," Yee said. "We were trying to bounce back from the doubles loss, get ready mentally and try to set the tone for the rest of the day. Some of that is being loud but showing a lot of emotion in general is a huge key."

Yee went on to win his match in straight sets losing just two games in the process. Also winning in straight sets was freshman Matthew McCoy whose victory clinched the match for IU.

"He came through in a real tough one today, clinching for us when we were down on the other two courts so it was a big moment," IU Coach Randy Bloemendaal said of McCoy. "It doesn't look as big at the end, but when it was going on it was a huge moment and I think that's going to help build his confidence and it's going to help the team rally around him."

While senior Dimitrije Tasic and Junior Sven Lalic both trailed in their singles matches they did come back to record victories. Bloemendaal was still not satisfied with their performances knowing his upperclassmen can play better, particularly Tasic, the only senior on the team.

"As a senior I kind of expected him to come out and give a little more energy," Bloemendaal. "He did a good job overall. I think he finished well today, but his start was pretty average and with a young team that can cost you and that is what has cost us so far this season."

Bloemendaal also said that Lalic was one of a few Hoosiers who felt sick coming into the doubleheader.

Youth continued to carry the load for the Hoosiers in the second half of the double header against Western Michigan.

After IU swept all three doubles matches sophomores Monette, Bednarczyk and Yee once again won in straight sets, this time joined by a different freshman, Stefan Lugonjic.

Lugonjic started slow, falling into a 3-0 hole in the first set before rallying to win 13 of the next 17 games resulting in a straight set victory for the freshman.

"I think that carrying that lead late in the match is the toughest thing to do," Bloemendaal said. "He went out a little bit tight and that's normal for a freshman."

While Tasic once again won in straight sets against Western Michigan, fellow upperclassmen Lalic lost in straight sets at the No. 1 singles position.

"We got to do a little better job with our upperclassmen, they have to field pressure a little bit differently," Bloemendaal said. "But they've been through it and I think that they need to understand that it's all there and if they can give back strength to this team we're going to be a heck of a team"