IU women's basketball finished the non-conference schedule a perfect 13-0 in what has been the best start to a season in program history. IU will now turn its attention toward Big Ten play which starts on Thursday when No. 22 Iowa comes to Assembly Hall.

But before then, the IDS has compiled some of the top storylines worth reflecting on and things to keep an eye on going forward into Big Ten play.

Record Breaking Start

After beating Xavier 62-55 on Sunday in Cincinnati, the 2013-14 Hoosiers are now sole owners of the greatest start in program history.

IU's 13-0 start is the best since starting 12-0 in 1971-72, the inaugural season for women's basketball at IU. It is only the fourth time that IU has finished regular season non-Big Ten play without a loss and the first time doing so since going 10-0 in 1994-95. The 13-game winning streak that the Hoosiers currently hold is the longest in program history

The quality of wins has not been much to brag about, but there have been a number of wins worth noting. IU has picked up wins against the likes of one of the nation's better defenses in IUPUI, an ACC foe in Virginia Tech and teams like Cleveland State and Butler that the Hoosiers lost to last season.

IU was picked to finish 12th in the Big Ten preseason rankings. Whether or not this young Hoosier team will be able to compete in the Big Ten and possibly an NCAA Tournament berth remains to be seen.

Curt Miller increasing win total

IU Coach Curt Miller seemingly has IU pointed in the right direction since being hired before the start of last season.

In Miller's first year, he led the Hoosiers to their most wins in three years with a record of 11-19. In the previous two years before Miller's arrival, the program only had 15 wins total. This season, the Hoosiers already have accumulated 13 wins.

IU was able to go 9-4 in the nonconference last season before only managing to win two games in the Big Ten season. The big question going forward will be whether or not Miller and his squad will continue to build on their success and fair better in the Big Ten than they did last season.

First-year players providing spark

Part of the reason behind IU's unexpected success early on has been the unpredictable contribution from first-year players. IU opened the year with four first-year players on the floor which brought with it a lot of unknown surrounding how well they might play.

The Hoosiers responded by crushing Oakland 85-55. The offense scored 48 first half points, the most points in the Curt Miller era. The 30 point margin of victory was the largest for IU to start the year since IU beat Wofford 90-34 to open the 2002-03 season.

First year players have accounted for just over 70 percent of the scoring this season. Six of IU's top seven scorers this season have been freshmen. The rest of the scoring has come from veterans like sixth-year senior forward Sasha Chaplin who Miller has said provide the younger players with leadership and guidance.

Larryn Brooks emerges as leading scorer

At the forefront of the first-year player impact has been freshman guard Larryn Brooks. Brooks, a three-star recruit coming out of high school, is averaging 18.7 points per game. She enters Big Ten play as the fifth leading scorer in the Big Ten and is the third highest scoring freshmen scorer in the nation.

Much of Brooks' scoring has come from behind the arc. She is shooting 27-for-63 (42.9 percent) from long distance this year, the best on the team.

Big tests ahead

With the Big Ten season beginning brings with it a pair of big tests for IU. The Hoosiers open Big Ten play on Thursday against No. 22 Iowa (12-2) in Assembly Hall before traveling to West Lafayette on Monday to square off against in-state rival No. 17 Purdue.

These games should be an indicator of how far this Hoosier team has come and how much of a contender IU will be in the Big Ten. A handful of Big Ten wins against quality teams could go a long way in IU securing a spot in the NCAA Tournament.

Quotables:

IU Coach Curt Miller: "We're a team that was predicted to come in last place in the Big Ten. We're just trying to do what we do well and believe in what we do. We have infused this team with freshman energy on top of senior urgency. It's a nice gelling mixture of senior urgency and the urgency out of the freshman class."

Senior forward Tabitha Gerardot: "Any team at any time can lose what they've built. We have to keep strong with our chemistry--which is one of our strengths--and our ability to have so many players who can come in and impact the game. If everybody comes in and takes their roles seriously like they have, I think we're going to be good. We need to keep our courage and our spunk up because that's sort of what has got us here with so many young players and the players that are returning are still getting used to the coaching staff. All around it's a new combo for everyone in some way or another and it's exciting to be doing well and succeeding so we just got to keep our heads together and keep doing what's been working."

Gerardot: "We've exceeded so many expectations, we're far past what people thought so I don't even want to set a limit. I don't know, we'll see. I'm really excited though, it's definitely the funnest college year I've had and I think everybody is enjoying the ride. As long as we keep our heads together and keep playing hard, no matter who the tough opponents are, I think we can still be good by the end"