The IU football team's 2013 recruiting class that was assembled by Coach Kevin Wilson and the Hoosiers' coaching staff was the best recruiting class in school history. According to 247 Sports' composite rankings, IU's 2013 class is 42nd in the country, with four four-star and 15 three-star recruits.

With seven regular season games in IU's rearview mirror and the team's upcoming bye week, now is a good time to check in on the Hoosiers' heralded 2013 recruiting class and to see what kind of impact the newcomers are making on the field.

Three-star MLB T.J. Simmons (Lakeland, FL)

• 7 starts
  • 49 total tackles (4th on team); 1 sack; 3.5 tackles for loss; 2 passes deflected
  • Named a Defensive Player of the Week for the Indiana State game
  • "T.J. Simmons first start, leading tackler, really played well, looks like a vet, good future for him."--IU Coach Kevin Wilson (Sept. 2)
  • "You see T.J. Simmons in the spring, going to be a really good freshman player."--IU Coach Kevin Wilson (Aug. 23)

Four-star S Antonio Allen (Indianapolis, IN)--Out for the season with torn ACL

• 7 appearances; 1 start
  • 35 total tackles (7th on team); 1.5 tackles for loss; 1 fumble recovery

Three-star LB Marcus Oliver (Hamilton, OH)

• 6 appearances
  • 20 total tackles (10th on team); 0.5 tackles for loss; 2 forced fumbles

Two-star LB Steven Funderburk (Iowa Western C.C.)

• 7 appearances
  • 17 total tackles (T-12th on team); 1 forced fumble; 2 passes deflected
  • Named a Special Teams Player of the Week for the Penn State game after forcing a fumble on a Penn State kickoff return in the fourth quarter
  • "We actually, from there, went down and scored again. So that was a point play. Steven Funderburk's play causing the fumble, really broke it open for us in the fourth quarter. It's still a two possession type game. We had scored and flied out and created a turnover, it was a huge play."--IU Coach Kevin Wilson (Oct. 7)
  • "Funderburk was very good in the spring."--IU Coach Kevin Wilson (Aug. 23)

Four-star DT Darius Latham (Indianapolis, IN)

• 7 appearances
  • 12 total tackles; 1 sack; 1.5 tackles for loss; 1 pass deflected

Three-star LB Clyde Newton (Punta Gorda, FL)

• 7 appearances
  • 4 tackles

Four-star DE David Kenney (Indianapolis, IN)

• 3 appearances
  • 2 tackles, 1 pass deflected

Three-star RB Laray Smith (Brooklyn, NY)

• 3 appearances
  • 4 rushing attempts for 6 yards
  • "It's a taxing position. There is a lot of wear and tear. And we need D'Angelo and Laray to come along because I think you need more than two."--IU Coach Kevin Wilson (Sept. 16)

Two-star DT Jordan Heiderman (Iowa Western C.C.)

• 3 appearances
  • 1 total tackle

Miscellaneous quotes from IU Coach Wilson on the 2013 recruiting class:

"We're still young, those young guys need work. We've got to practice them hard. There is a fine line of overpracticing, overprepping, overcoaching, but we've got to keep developing these guys.

I do think there is a lot of growth, because, one, I think we have good buy in. I think they're listening and they see where they need to improve, and I think they get it. It's not personal when they realize, hey, I'm not making a poor angle, I just busted this play. I should have recognized this sooner. I should have made this adjustment. Good teams get it adjusted on Saturday. Bad teams come in on Sunday and run the remote back a bunch of times and get it right. Good teams do it during the game.

Young guys, that's hard. It was hard that first game. This past game we made some adjustments a little bit better. The other reason why I think you're making a valid point is there is a lot of youth over there and you do think they're going to improve just because of playing experience. The more Allen and Latham and it T.J. Simmons and those guys play and Marcus Oliver, the better they'll get because they are young."--IU Coach Kevin Wilson (Sept. 16)

"But you'll see some young guys, whether it be Clyde Newton, Marcus Oliver, T.J. Simmons, you'll see those young freshmen in the mix playing defense."--IU Coach Kevin Wilson (Aug. 23)

All player rankings are from 247 Sports' Composite rankings.