Freshman goalkeeper Mary Campbell of the No. 14 IU water polo team has been named the CWPA Western Division Rookie of the Week.

Campbell received the honor for her efforts against then-No. 19 Michigan last Saturday. Although the Hoosiers (16-12) lost 8-7 (OT), Campbell's season- and career-high 15 saves proved to be vital in IU's competitiveness.

With normal starting goalkeeper freshman Jessica Gaudreault ruled out of the match with an elbow injury, Campbell made just her sixth start of the season. Campbell made several huge saves in the first half, one of which led to a goal on IU's ensuing counter attack. The freshman only allowed one goal in the opening half, leading to a 2-1 IU lead at halftime.

Campbell was not as fortunate in the second half, with the Wolverines scoring three goals in both the third and fourth quarters. During the two three-minute periods of overtime, she only allowed one score, but it was the difference in the game, as IU's offense was unable to net any goals during extra time.

This is Campbell's second weekly award this year. She and Gaudreault were named co-CWPA Western Division Defensive Players of the Week on Feb. 25 for their efforts against Dollard Des Ormeaux, then-No. 10Long Beach State and Washington & Jefferson during IU's self-hosted Fluid Four.

Campbell has 80 saves on the season. In addition to her six starts, she has seen playing time in 13 different matches.