The Big Ten Conference released its list of 2012 Medal of Honor recipients. Two student-athletes from each school were honored for having "attained the greatest proficiency in athletics and scholastic work."

The two recipients from IU were men's basketball player Matt Roth and swimmer Margaux Farrell.

Farrell, along with Penn State Miguel Pineda, earned the Wayne Duke Postgraduate Award. It is a scholarship that honors one male and one female senior student-athlete who plans to pursue a postgraduate degree.

Farrell graduated in May with a degree in journalism and a minor in psychology. Just two months previous, she had earned a spot on the French Olympic Team and will travel to London to participate.

During her senior season at IU, Farrell won the Big Ten title in the 800-yard freestyle relay, finished fourth in the Big Ten in the 200-yard freestyle and seventh in the 100-yard freestyle. She is the IU record holder in six events:

• 100 freestyle
  • 800 freestyle relay
  • 200 freestyle relay
  • 200 medley relay
  • 400 medley relay
  • 400 freestyle relay

In his senior season, Roth led the Big Ten in 3-point shooting at 54.5 percent. It was the second-best ever at IU and his shooting in Big Ten play (59.2 percent) was a new IU record. He is tied for 10th all-time in career 3-point percentage (41.4 percent) at IU.

Roth is a two-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree and earned his master's in athletic administration this year after graduating with a bachelor's in sport communication and broadcasting last year.