Midway through spring practice, IU Coach Kevin Wilson is beginning to see what he wants to see.

The second-year coach said he walked away from Saturday's practice as satisfied as he has been after any practice to this point.

He added, however, a couple of small issues during practice. He said it is unavoidable, but sometimes when a player has a good day in practice, he begins to take it a little easy the next day.

"It's just human nature," Wilson said. "You'd like to think you'd be humble enough when you're 1-11 to realize that you've got a boatload of work to do."

Wilson also said the team needs to find consistency, as the defense played well on Saturday, but the offense played a little better than the defense Tuesday.

Part of the issue is that the team is a little light after losing seniors, but still not having the 2012 freshman class, Wilson said.

"I wish we had those 18 freshmen and those walk-ons coming in," Wilson said. "We'd have the numbers to be a much better practice team."

Transition on defense

Junior college transfers, such as quarterback Cameron Coffman, defensive end Justin Rayside and linebacker David Cooper, have already arrived and are beginning to make impacts. Wilson said Cooper is having the most short-term success, despite sitting out Tuesday's afternoon practice with a minor injury.

Rising sophomore defensive end Bobby Richardson said Rayside is adjusting well and quickly. Richardson also praised new Defensive Ends Coach Jon Fabris.

"The new coach is teaching me a lot new stuff, he's teaching the whole line a lot of new stuff," Richardson said. "He doesn't like the word 'defense,' because that means we're just defending. He wants us to attack."

Roberson settling in

The main target of the defensive attack in scrimmages has been rising sophomore quarterback Tre Roberson. He said he has been grasping new Offensive Coordinator Seth Littrell's offense and the former Lawrence Central point guard said the offensive mentality compares well to basketball.

"Wide receivers are getting to their spots and getting open instead of just running different routes," Roberson said. "Everybody's getting to their spots and getting open. It's like playing basketball."

Roberson said Quarterbacks Coach Kevin Johns encouraged him to watch more film, which is helping to slow the game down for him.

Naval attack

While he studies defenses and his own offense, the defense has already begun studying and preparing for the Navy offense, which is characterized by the distinctive wishbone formation.

"It was fun getting to pound the ball and a little zone-read," Roberson said. "It was fun."

When asked if there was any possibility of a wishbone formation making the playbook for the fall season, Roberson laughed.

"We joke about it," Roberson said, "but I don't think Coach Wilson's going to do it"