The end result: The IU baseball team suffered a season-opening 4-2 defeat Friday at the hands of Virginia Tech in the Caravelle Resort Invitational in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

How it happened: Leading 1-0 in the bottom of the third inning, junior pitcher Drew Leininger allowed Virginia Tech first baseman Ronnie Shaban to bat in Johnny Morales on a grounder and then surrendered a run on one of Leininger's two wild pitches in the frame. A two-run homer by Hokies outfielder Andrew Rash in the bottom of the fifth put the Hoosiers in a whole from which they couldn't reemerge.

Key statistics: Despite the loss, IU owned a 9-6 advantage in hits. Freshman third baseman Dustin DeMuth was solid in his collegiate debut, going two-for-four at the plate with a run and making a diving catch-and-throw to first to end the seventh inning. Junior outfielder Alex Dickerson also went two-for-four at bat.

Senior pitcher Matt Carr performed well in relief, recording three straight strikeouts over the sixth and seventh frames, but junior Drew Leininger allowed four runs on six hits and could not keep up with Virginia Tech counterpart Joe Mantiply, who retired five Hoosier batters via strikeout in seven innings of duty.

What's next: IU returns to the field tomorrow at 5 p.m. against Boston College. Freshman pitcher Joey DeNato will start for the Hoosiers in his collegiate debut.