In the latest edition of The Opposing Bench we asked Joseph Terry, the women's basketball beat writer for The State News, the newspaper of Michigan State University some questions leading up to the IU vs. MSU game on Monday. Joseph is a senior and native of Inkster, Michigan and is also an Eagle Scout. Here is the Q and A.

Above the Rim: What is the outlook for this season for Michigan State?

Joe: Last year's team was very young, at some points starting three freshmen, but was able to remain successful, narrowly missing the NCAAs and making it to the WNIT finals. This season, the club returns all five starters from last season along with junior Aisha Jefferson, who injured her knee in the opening exhibition match last season, and plans to take the experience it gained last season and challenge for a Big Ten title.

Above the Rim: After winning 6 in a row the Spartans stumbled and lost 4 straight, what would you attribute their struggles too?

Joe: The team got off to that hot start mostly against lesser teams at home, capping the streak with a strong win over then-No. 23 Old Dominion. The tough stretch came when they hit the road against a pretty formidable list of opponents, starting with Notre Dame and continuing with games against Georgia Tech and Xavier, all of which have seen the top 25 this season. During the stretch the Spartans were having a lot of trouble closing out on perimeter defense, allowing the guards in each game to light them up from outside of the arc. The team said that the road had a bit to do with the losses, but it also had to do with shots just not falling.

Follow the Jump to see Joe's prediction for Monday's game!

Above the Rim: Michigan State ranked 13th in the nation in home attendance with over 6,000 fans per game last year. What is the atmosphere like in the Breslin Center?

Joe: The atmosphere at Breslin Center is amazing. The crowd definitely pumps the team up, and gets deafening during big runs and anytime there is a big defensive stand. Even over the break, when students are understandably elsewhere, the fans have shown up in droves, including the MVPs and even a few in the student section, Merchants Maniacs. And it's not just a loud audience, they are basketball savvy, deriding the officials anytime a call is questionable or screaming to put in backups during a 30-point blowout. Obviously, just as in Bloomington, having a successful men's team hasn't hurt publicity for the women, but when the crowd is in there, they are rooting for whoever is wearing Green and White. It just shows what a supportive fan base there is throughout the state that people can come out to support the team in any conditions. The Fastbreak Club does a great job of raising money for the program and has fostered a pretty big group of members, which is great for the team.

Above the Rim: Who are some of the star players on the MSU squad?

Joe: When you're talking star players on the Spartans, the conversation has to begin with junior center Allyssa DeHaan. At 6-foot-9 she has captured the attention of fans and media alike, even before she came to East Lansing. But since she has arrived she has been by far the fan favorite, drawing cheers everytime she goes on and off the court. Though her offensive production isn't always consistent, on the defensive side she has never had a problem. She is third in the nation in blocks per game, averaging 3.8 bpg. The other star is junior forward Aisha Jefferson. Jefferson is the unquestioned emotional leader of the ball club, pumping up other players while she's on the court and barely able to contain her excitement when she's on the bench. She had to miss all of last season due to a knee injury she suffered in the first exhibition game, but has come back with a vengeance this season, leading the team in scoring and netting a season high 34 points and 11 rebounds in the Nov. 29 loss to Notre Dame.

Above the Rim: Second year Coach Suzy Merchant lead the team to the WNIT finals in her first year. What is her personality and style like?

Joe: Coach Merchant is something else. She is quite possibly the quietest coach I have ever interviewed, yet when she hits the court she is the complete opposite, yelling every play, directing players to the right spot and arguing with officials. In fact, I don't remember her taking a seat all season. It's easy to see she has a tremendous passion for the game. She is very similar to the men's coach Tom Izzo, in that you wouldn't see either one of them swat a fly off the court, but would do anything they say on the court. Also neither one seems to have a voice left in postgame press conferences. That could be why she's so quiet.

Above the Rim: What is your prediction for how well the Spartans will do this year?

Joe: For the season, I see the Spartans making a good run in Merchant's second year at the helm. If they improve turnovers they have a shot at winning the Big Ten, but considering it hasn't happened yet, I'm not going to hold my breath until it happens. I say the Spartans finish third in the league, behind Ohio State and Purdue, and make a trip to the NCAA Tournament, being played in, you guessed it, East Lansing. What they do when they get there (here?) is another question.

Above the Rim: What is your prediction for Monday's game against the Hoosiers

Joe: Your fans won't want to hear it, but I see the Spartans winning this one. MSU is just a different team at home. It could be the crowd, the familiar rims or just not having to sleep in a hotel, but it seems they play a lot harder at Breslin. That doesn't mean it won't be close. Indiana has their fair share of big scorers and hot shooting guards have been a problem for the Spartans all season, which could be a problem if either Jamie Braun or Kim Roberson, both shooting at least 36 percent from three-point range, get hot from deep. However, the size of the Spartans seems to be too much. The game changes when DeHaan is onthe court, mostly because it's hard for a shorter team, like the Hoosiers, to get any shots off around the rim. And with the next tallest player for Indiana being a half-foot shorter than her, there won't be much action in the paint when she's in the game. The Hoosiers need someone to get hot from outside to get this road win, and MSU has actually shown up on perimeter defense when they've played at home. For this game my prediction is 70-65, MSU at home.