The Big Ten's Web site had a neat idea leading up to the Olympics by featuring former conference baseballers who participated in the games. Leading the list was former IU star, Mickey Morandini. The write up (link for full) on Mickey follows.

MICKEY MORANDINI, BASEBALL, INDIANA, 1985-88 1988 - Seoul (Gold)

Indiana's Mickey Morandini helped Team USA earn the gold medal in the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, South Korea. It marked the first Olympic gold for USA Baseball and only the second in the program's history.

Morandini was lauded for his exceptional defense at second base, although he played in only one of the five games for Team USA.

During his time at Indiana, Morandini started as a freshman in centerfield and then moved to third base and shortstop throughout his career. Following his junior season, Morandini had an option to turn professional, but noted that he longed to play in the Olympics.

Turning professional would have eliminated his amateur status and his chances of playing for Team USA. While some sports such as basketball allow professional athletes to compete in the Summer Games, Olympic baseball teams could only use high school and college prodigies. It wasn't until the 2000 Games that the International Olympic Committee approved the usage of minor league players.

Morandini returned to Indiana following the 1988 Games to earn second-team All-America honors and graduate as the school record holder in runs (277), doubles (61), triples (29) and steals (127).

Following the Olympics, Morandini was taken in the fifth round of the 1988 MLB free agent amateur draft by the Philadelphia Phillies. He made his debut with the team in 1990 and later helped his new ballclub to the 1993 World Series. Morandini also earned All-Star status in 1995, becoming the first Hoosier to play in the mid-summer classic since Ted Kluszewski almost 40 years before.

Following his career in Philadelphia, Morandini spent two seasons with the Chicago Cubs and then split the 2000 campaign between the Phillies and the Toronto Blue Jays before retiring.