It's not surprising that most Hoosier fans are comparing football news to an old basketball problem.

As the ink dries on Bill Lynch's new four-year contract, skeptics and pessimists alike are wondering aloud whether Lynch is Mike Davis 2.0.

Like Lynch, Davis's first year was the best season the program had experienced in years. In addition, both coaches coasted to success with players their predecessor had recruited.

After their first years, both coaches received large contract extensions - both of which were met with hesitation.

But like I touched on in my column today, I don't see Davis and Lynch as similar beings. Davis was emotional to a flaw - constantly speaking his mind in press conferences, often saying things that got him in trouble. Lynch on the other hand, is a model citizen. I don't think Rick Greenspan or anyone in IU Athletics is worried about Lynch saying something he shouldn't.

Obviously, Davis's tenure at IU didn't go as planned. He was fired before he could live out his contract and has now moved on to University of Alabama-Birmingham. Will Lynch make it to the end of the 2011 as IU's head coach?

Does anyone else see the similarities between Lynch and Davis? Or do you see obvious discrepancies between the two?