Indiana 38, Ball State 20 - [FINAL]

The Hoosiers are bowl eligible for the first time in over a decade, thanks to their victory over Ball State this afternoon, 38-20.

Ending their three-game losing streak, the Hoosier's offense clicked today. Kellen Lewis threw for over 300 yards and James Hardy and Ray Fischer finished with big games as well.

IU will now look forward to Northwestern next weekend. A win there would almost guarantee a postseason bowl birth.

We're headed to the Hoosier room for interviews and Bill Lynch's press conference. Check back later for more coverage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Indiana 38, Ball State 20 - [Fourth quarter - 4:38]

The Cardinals turn the ball over on downs, all but confirming the Hoosier's win.

I said before the game that the Hoosiers would need to pressure Nate Davis in order to win today and they did so masterfully. The defensive ends handled Ball State's offensive tackles and IU was able to get pressure up the middle consistently from their linebackers and defensive tackles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indiana 38, Ball State 20 - [Fourth quarter - 9:03]

Ball State moved the ball inside IU's 10-yard-line, but couldn't manage a touchdown against the IU's stingy defense. Instead, the Cardinals settled for a field goal.

Up two touchdowns with the ball, the Hoosiers are sitting pretty. One or two lengthy positions should be enough to run the clock out and seal the victory.

Indiana 38, Ball State 17 - [Fourth quarter - 14:54]

On the first play of the fourth quarter, Lewis hit Fisher over the middle for a 25-yard touchdown. Fisher made a great grab in the end zone - while being tackled and falling over he was able to keep possession.

Lewis has now set a career-high for passing yards in a single game with 325. It's a record day for the Hoosiers - outside of personal accolades, the Hoosiers are 15 minutes away from becoming bowl eligible finally.

Indiana 31, Ball State 17 - [Third quarter - 1:51]

On third and 16 from their own 16, Lewis once again aired out a pass. But for the first time today, Andrew Means was on the receiving end, pulling the ball in at midfield for a 34-yard gain.

Indiana 31, Ball State 17 - [Third quarter - 3:50]

Nothing exciting to report. The two teams exchanged punts and the Hosiers have the ball again from their own 10. On first down, Thigpen broke a run 20 yards only to have it brought back due to holding.

Indiana 31, Ball State 17 - [Third quarter - 8:35]

Responding quickly to Ball State's touchdown, the Hoosiers came back with one of their own.

Lewis lobbed the ball to Hardy in the end zone. Hardy saw the ball was under thrown, adjusted, and reeled the ball in despite being draped by a Ball State cornerback.

The touchdown was set up by a long Bryan Payton run and a lengthy Marcus Thigpen screen. Thigpen really shows how quick he is when the Hoosiers run the misdirection screen to him. When he gets up to full speed no one can keep up with him.

Lewis's last touchdown pass ties him for the school record in touchdown receptions. The record (22 TDs) was set by IU's backup tight end, Blake Powers, in 2005.

Indiana 24, Ball State 17 - [Third quarter - 11:48]

Ball State opened the second half with a lengthy touchdown drive to put them within a score.

Nate Davis was able to complete pass after pass in the pocket and led the Cardinals 80 yards for the touchdown. The Cardinals were able to have their way with the Hoosier defense, despite IU playing fairly aggressive.

Indiana 24, Ball State 10 - [Halftime]

The last play of the half was intercepted by Geno Johnson. Johnson actually returned the ball about 30 yards, making several impressive moves along the way. By the time he was tackled time had expired. Two offsetting penalties ended the half.

Considering the fumbles and the quick Ball State scores, IU is in great position. Up to touchdowns going into the half, the Hoosiers have one of their biggest leads in recent memory despite not playing their best football.

Indiana 24, Ball State 10 - [Second quarter -0:43]

The Hoosiers just punted for the first time this afternoon. Michael Hines booted it all the way to Ball State's 35.

IU_Fan: The weather is cool, but pleasant. The flags on top of the goalposts are barely moving, so wind isn't a factor either.

The crowd honestly, isn't as disappointing as I feared. If you twisted my arm (stop!), I would estimate about 32-35,000.

You're right about the fumbles. Lewis has already fumbled twice today. I'm not sure if it is the size or his technique. Is he holding the ball right when he makes contact with a defender? Some writers here have wondered aloud where he might be slightly banged up and that is the reason for the recent series of mishaps.

His size definitely could be contributing to it. He is the skinniest player on the field, and although he isn't quite "Reggie-esque" he is close. Maybe closer to Danny Granger.

Indiana 24, Ball State 10 - [Second quarter - 3:21]

It appeared the Hoosiers had scored six points, but further review proved otherwise.

Lewis completed a 35-yard touchdown pass to James Bailey - only to have it called back after determining Bailey lost possession as he fell out of bounds.

But the Hoosiers bounced back on the next play with a gain of 15 yards from a Fisher reception over the middle.

The next play, Lewis found Hardy in the end zone for a touchdown. This time, no review was needed.

Indiana 17, Ball State 10 - [Second quarter - 7:10]

Another touchdown puts the Hoosiers ahead. Nate Davis's pass attempt hit IU cornerback Chris Phillips in stride and Phillips ran 58 yards untouched into the end zone.

That makes for a quick reversal from five minutes ago. The Hoosiers are on top and have momentum.

Indiana 10, Ball State 10 - [Second quarter - 9:28]

The Ray Fisher Screen Pass goes for a touchdown! I can die a happy man.

Thanks to great blocking down field by IU's wide receivers, Fisher went 60 yards for the touchdown. Fisher caught the ball on Ball State's sideline, but zipped and darted across the field avoiding Cardinal defenders before coming to rest in the end zone.

The touchdown gives IU a much-needed spark. It's the first time they've been in the end zone since the Penn State game.

Note: The reception is a career-long for Fisher.

Indiana 3, Ball State 10 - [Second quarter - 10:16]

The Hoosiers get another break thanks to Ball State's dwindling offense. A mediocre punt plus a good return by Porter gives the Hoosiers decent field position at the 35.

Indiana 3, Ball State 10 - [Second quarter - 11:49]

Another fumble.

On the two-yard-line, Lewis fumbled the snap (again) and Ball State recovered the football. The past three weeks have been riddled with great drives killed by fumbles.

The Cardinals take over from the 10.

Indiana 3, Ball State 10 - [Second quarter - 13:08]

The Hoosiers just ran the Ray Fisher Screen Pass to my delight. And to IU's delight, Fisher broke two tackles to pick up a first down.

After three lackluster players, the Hoosiers came out to attempt a 44-yard Austin Starr field goal. The kick was blocked by a Ball State defender, but the Hoosiers retained possession thanks to an offside flag.

On fourth and one, the Hoosier offense came back on the field. Once again, IU called for the Ray Fisher Screen Pass, which they ran to perfection. IU picks up the first down and is in scoring position once again.

Indiana 3, Ball State 10 - [First quarter - 1:51]

For the second time this season an opponent has successfully executed a fake field goal pass on the Hoosiers.

The Ball State holder took the snap, stood up, and threw a short pass to pick up the five yards for the first down. The next play resulted in a holding call, pushing Ball State back to the 18 for second and 16.

The Cardinals would be bailed out on the next play by a questionable pass interference call on the Hoosiers. On first and goal from the four, Davis handed it off to Chris Clancy for the touchdown.

A personal foul was called on Ball State after the play and will be enforced on the ensuing kick-off.

As my colleague Tom Kirby pointed out to me, the Hoosiers haven't won a game this season they've trailed in.

Indiana 3, Ball State 3 - [First quarter - 4:32]

The fumble problems continue for the Hoosiers.

On first and 10, Lewis faked the handoff to Marcus Thigpen before running outside the left tackle. The first defender he met successfully lodged the ball from Lewis's grip and Ball State recovered the ball.

The Cardinals then followed with a quick 22-yard strike over the middle.

Indiana 3, Ball State 3 - [First quarter - 6:08]

A quick three-and-out for the Cardinals. The Hoosiers had great pressure on the quarterback that series and dominated the line of scrimmage.

Tracy Porter returned the punt to the 35.

Indiana 3, Ball State 3 - [First quarter - 7:10]

Lewis's first three pass attempts of the day have gone to Hardy, with the last two both resulting in completions.

On first and 10 from their 37, Lewis scrambled up the middle for a first down to move the ball to midfield.

After an offensive pass interference call on James Bailey, the Hoosiers were left with third and 20. After narrowly avoiding two Ball State defenders, Lewis launched a pass deep down field that was pulled in by...Hardy.

But the Hoosiers couldn't advance the ball farther than that. They would settle for a 30-yard field goal by Austin Starr to tie the game.

Indiana 0, Ball State 3 - [First quarter - 11:37]

The Cardinals completed two first down passes and pushed the ball to the two-yard-line. On third and goal, Nate Davis rolled out to his right only to have his short pass attempt fall in complete.

The Cardinals kicked a three-point extra point to take the early lead.

Indiana vs. Ball State - [First quarter - 14:50]

The first play from scrimmage results in a turnover for the Hoosiers.

Scrambling to his right, Lewis launched a pass to Hardy that hung in the air for what seemed like three seconds. Unfortunately, that was long enough for a Ball State defender to get under it and intercept it. B.J. Hill returned the pick to the 30-yard-line.

Injury Update:

* Chris Phillips is starting at defensive back in place of Leslie Majors. * Nick Sexton is returning from a head injury and will be starting at tight end. * Mike Stark is getting the start again at right tackle over Charlie Emerson. * Defensive tackle Joe Kremer is inactive for today's game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perfect football weather at Memorial Stadium today for this afternoon's Indiana/Ball State game.

Both teams are sitting at five wins and on the brink of bowl eligibility. If the Hoosiers are victorious today, it will be their best season record-wise since 1994.

The Hoosiers get a short break from Big Ten play with today's game against a MAC team. But the Cardinals have played both Nebraska and Illinois close this season, almost knocking off both heavily-favorites on the road.

If IU is going to win today, I think they'll need to rediscover the run. That means the Hoosiers will need to utilize both Kellen Lewis and the handful of running backs they have dressing. On defense, the Hoosiers need to get to Ball State's quarterback Nate Davis. When IU won four in a row earlier this season, they consistently put incredible pressure on the quarterback.

We'll be back with updates, analysis and commentary later. Feel free to post any comments/questions.