OPINION: Staying motivated during the final push

opfinalpush-illo

For the past few weeks, I’ve started to feel burned out. It’s the time of year when I know I’ve almost reached the end of the academic year, but it still feels so far away. It’s harder than ever to find the motivation to keep up with schoolwork and other obligations, especially following spring break and with better weather on the horizon. I’d rather be hanging out outside with friends without a care in the world. But that’s not always possible, so to help with my lack of motivation, I started using some tricks to push through these last weeks of the semester and keep my energy up.  

We may feel this motivation drain for many reasons, and they’re all completely valid. This is a time in the semester when we have important tests determining our grades or massive projects requiring coordination. It also may be related to something entirely outside of school. Maybe it’s a family or relationship issue that is causing the drain. Sometimes, it is related to our mental health and requires professional support. The important thing is identifying where the lack of motivation is coming from and attacking it from there. 

If you’re feeling a lack of motivation because of school, there are many things you can do. My personal favorite is simply taking time for myself. This may seem counterintuitive because the point is to get motivated and tackle schoolwork, but that’s not entirely true. We’re trying to get away from feeling low energy, and doing alternative activities for yourself can help make you more productive. 

This could be reading a good book, taking a walk or practicing meditation. According to Verywell Mind, “Fresh air, a change of scenery, and a little exercise can do wonders for your motivation. Walking in nature as opposed to a busy urban street can be especially beneficial.”  

Walking through a park or around the neighborhood could provide the mental break you need to get motivated to study or take on your next assignment. From Psychology Today, “A 2013 study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine found that walking a half-mile through a park reduces brain fatigue.”    

Another helpful idea is to do things in small blocks of time. Don’t feel like everything needs to be done at once because it can cause us to feel overwhelmed. Instead, devote chunks of your day to different tasks, prioritizing what needs to be done the quickest. According to Asana, “Time blocking can help you be more intentional about your time. By dedicating specific blocks of time to important work, you can focus on getting things done instead of losing time and energy to multitasking and procrastination.” 

I’ve found this tool especially helpful when I’m not motivated to do anything. When I only have one activity to focus on, I’m much more likely to get it done. It also provides me time to take breaks between tasks to refresh my mind.  

Also, credit yourself for the small things. Not everything you do has to be groundbreaking. Sometimes, it’s okay just to get things done, even if it isn’t always your best work. When you do get a task done, credit yourself for getting through something that may have been hard. 

The Mental Health Foundation in the United Kingdom gives some good advice., “Each evening, why don't you try noting three small wins that you have achieved that day, remembering that whatever you achieve, no matter how small, is always something to be proud of.” Though I haven’t tried this, I like this advice and will try to implement it in my own life. 

Finally, reward yourself when you accomplish something, whether in school, work or regular life. Grabbing a coffee from Starbucks or ice cream from Hartzells is okay when you’re proud of your work, big or small. 

These are just a few methods to deal with a lack of motivation. It’s important to know feeling tired, stressed or unmotivated is okay. For many of us, this is our first slice of adult life. You’re allowed to slip. The important takeaway is to find solutions that help to manage and care for our mental health, whether that be minor adjustments or seeking professional support so we can keep pushing forward. 

Jack Davis (he/him) is a freshman majoring in journalism.