campus administration

How protesters can appeal a campus trespass ban from IUPD

caprotestban043024.jpg

Indiana State Police arrested a total of 56 protesters at the IU Divestment Coalition encampment in Dunn Meadow on Thursday and Saturday. Many were officially charged with campus trespass by IU Police Department and issued a ban lasting at least one year from IU campus grounds as a result.  

Navigating the legal system can be confusing and arduous, so the IDS decided to put together a guide to clarify the process. 

What is a campus trespass ban? 

ISP initially issued criminal charges to the 56 arrested protesters of criminal trespass, battery and resisting law enforcement.  

However, IUPD also separately issued campus trespass bans in accordance with a new policy passed by an ad hoc committee Wednesday – just one day prior to the first day of protest at Dunn Meadow.  

The policy was an alteration of a campus policy dating back to 1969 which allowed the use of temporary structures in Dunn Meadow without prior approval, forbidding them from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. IU changed the policy to ban the use of structures without prior approval from the Office of the Vice Provost of Student Life and University Events.  

IUPD issued one-year bans from campus to protesters who violated the new policy. Bryce Greene, a leading figure in the protests at Dunn Meadow, received a five-year ban.  

Violating the ban would result in a criminal trespass charge, according to the warning document issued to arrested protesters.  

How do you appeal a campus trespass ban? 

To appeal a campus trespass ban, people must contact IUPD and either send a message through the appeals page on their contact website or set up an in-person appeal by sending an email to iupsadmn@iu.edu 

IU sent arrested protesters emails with this information attached. However, the university hasn’t sent any further details as of Saturday, according to some arrestees. 

Some protesters said they have struggled to get in contact with IUPD and the university about appeals. 

“It’s been a slow and frustrating process,” one protester said. “They won’t answer our calls.” 

An email sent by Executive Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Rick Van Kooten to CASE students noted that all appeals will be reviewed by IU President Pamela Whitten. 

When can you return to campus? 

IU executive director of media relations Mark Bode sent a statement to the IDS in response to an inquiry about arrested students and faculty who were temporarily banned from campus.    

“Trespass ban notices will be suspended during the appeals process in nearly all cases,” he said. “This will allow these students and faculty to complete the semester.” 

The email sent to arrestees added that people will be notified of the outcome of their appeal within 15 business days of making it.  

Who else is involved? 

The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana has helped some protesters with the appeals process. One protester said the ACLU set him up with an attorney and is working to confirm the status of his ban on campus. 

Protesters also said some independent defense lawyers around Bloomington have been helping them.  

Criminal charges 

Protesters arrested Thursday were all assigned the same court date of July 5, 2024, to face a judge for their criminal charges. Most of them were charged with criminal trespass. Criminal trespass is a Class A misdemeanor in Indiana and can result in up to one year in jail time and/or up to $5,000 in fines if convicted.