city crime & courts

Former IU student receives 9-month sentence for Jan. 6 Capitol attack

Crime Filler

A former IU student who participated in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol received a nine-month sentence April 10.  

A jury convicted Bloomington resident Antony Vo, 31, of four misdemeanors related to the incident. His mother, who participated in the riot with Vo, was also charged.  

Vo was found guilty of entering the Capitol building through a non-public entrance. He spent approximately 20 minutes taking photographs and speaking with other rioters in the rotunda and Statuary Hall. In his bio on X, formerly known as Twitter, Vo calls himself a “J6 wrongful convict” since being charged.  

Vo posted on social media about his presence in the Capitol building after the riot. According to court documents, he said in a social media message “my mom and I got to storm the Capitol.”  

Vo violated his pretrial release by partaking in a vigil that defendants of the Jan. 6 attack held Sept. 22, 2023, at the Freedom Corner near the Washington D.C. jail. The court chose not to detain Vo because of the violation but did impose a curfew on him while he remained in Washington D.C.  

Vo was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan who has put hundreds of Capitol defendants behind bars. Chutkan stands out as the “toughest punisher” for Jan. 6 cases, according to AP News.  

Judge Chutkan agreed to put Former President Donald Trump’s election interference case in Washington D.C. that was set for March 4 on hold in response to Trump’s claims he is immune from the prosecution, according to AP News.