sports rowing

‘Our big goal is winning Big Tens’: Indiana rowing team prepares for spring season

spiurowing030724.jpg

Indiana rowing is looking to continue its recent success this season after a 17th-place finish at the 2023 NCAA Rowing Championships in Pennsauken, New Jersey. The Hoosiers finished the 2023 season with their Varsity Eight (V8) and Second Varsity Eight (2V8) crews placing 16th in the nation, while their Varsity Four ended at 17th.  

Led by 2023 Big Ten Coach of the Year Steve Peterson, IU set a program record with a third-place finish in the Big Ten Championships, including a program-best silver medal performance by the V8 rowers.  

With seven returning rowers from last year’s Varsity 8+ squads and 15 seniors leading the way for the Hoosiers, along with a large group of freshmen and three graduate transfers, the crew is looking to have their best season to date.  

Junior Clare Hunsberger, one of the members of last year’s 2V8 crew, spoke about the new-look roster, saying it’s the best environment she’s been a part of during her collegiate career. 

“The new people were welcomed in right away, and it’s good vibes all around,” Hunsberger said. “The freshmen are wicked fast in a way that I’ve never seen before. The three new transfers we have are almost like older sisters, and it feels like we’ve been doing this for a while.” 

Grace Newton, one of the freshmen who joined the crew this year, hopes to strengthen the team environment.  

“Our team is so big, and it’s really hard to check in on everyone,” Newton said. “So a big goal of mine is to check in weekly and be the best teammate I can.”  

In terms of season goals, senior and returning V8 crew member Sophie Bowden explained the Hoosiers have a board posted in their locker room to remind themselves of the things they want to accomplish.  

“Our big goal that we’re working towards right now is winning Big Tens, then after that, going to NCAAs and hopefully getting a Ttop 10 finish,” Bowden said.  

After such a successful season last year, the crew continues to shoot for more of the same this year to add some new hardware to its collection.  

The Hoosiers’ spring season begins March 10, as they head to Clemson University for the Spring Break Training Trip. Their first official meet takes place March 14-17 in Oak Ridge, Tennessee at the Cardinal Invitational hosted by the University of Louisville.