city

Student reports rape, dating violence in Read Hall Feb. 20

Crime Filler

Editor’s Note: This story includes mention of sexual assault. Resources are available here. 

A student reported being sexually and physically assaulted by the same person twice in Read Hall to the IU Title IX Office on Feb. 20. 

The first incident occurred between Nov. 26-30, 2023, while the second incident occurred between Feb. 16-19, IU Police Department Public Information Officer Hannah Skibba said.  

The Title IX Office reported the assaults to IUPD, which referred the case to university officials for review. The incidents are listed as one count of rape and two counts of dating violence on the IUPD crime log.  

According to IUPD’s crime log, there have been 24 rapes and 16 sexual batteries reported on campus since Aug. 17.  

According to IU’s 2023 Security and Public Safety Report, there were 38 rapes reported on IU Bloomington’s campus and five rapes reported off-campus in 2022.  

Off-campus cases include incidents that occurred at any building or property owned or controlled by a student organization, buildings owned or controlled by an institution directly supporting IU’s educational purposes and properties frequently used by students not within the geographic area of the institution. Off-campus cases also include incidents occurring on public property within or immediately adjacent to campus. 

Also in 2022, there were 35 cases of fondling — defined as the non-consensual touching of private body parts of another person for the purpose of sexual gratification — reported on the Bloomington’s campus, with an additional two cases occurring off-campus.  

These numbers are a marked increase from previous years. In 2021, there were 31 cases of rape and 21 cases of fondling on and off-campus. In 2020, there were 25 reports of rape and seven reports of fondling, although on-campus instruction paused mid-March due to the COVID-19 pandemic and did not resume until the fall.  

Despite these numbers, more than 90% of sexual assault victims on college campuses do not report their assaults, according to the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. 

A list of resources is available here if you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment or abuse.