Indiana track and field earns six titles in Windy City Invitational

spiutrackrecap021124.jpg

Indiana track and field divided this weekend, with most of the team traveling to Chicago for the Windy City Invitational and jumpers heading to Fayetteville, Arkansas, for the Tyson Invitational.  

In Chicago, the Hoosiers held their own against competition that included seven Big Ten schools, winning three events Friday. 

In the men’s mile, junior Camden Marshall claimed the title, also setting a new school record of 3:55.96. He broke the 19-year-old record of 3:46.44, set by Sean Jefferson in 2005.  

Junior Riley Johnson finished first in the men’s pole vault, clearing 5.16 meters to earn a new personal best.  

In the 60-meter dash prelims, graduate student Antonio Laidler finished second in 6.72 seconds to advance to the finals, where he shaved off enough time to place third in 6.67 seconds. 

Graduate student Kenisha Phillips won the women’s 400-meter dash in a time of 52.82 seconds, while senior Morgan Snow finished 10th, earning a new personal best of 55.38 seconds. 

The Hoosiers took home two more event titles Saturday.  

Graduate student Nathan Stone won the men’s pole vault with a height of 5.41 meters. In the women’s pole vault, graduate student Jessica Mercier finished third, clearing 4.19 meters. 

Graduate student Austin Haskett finished first in the men’s 3,000-meter run with a time of 7:51.45 to earn a new personal best. Graduate student Skylar Stidam also earned a podium finish and a personal best, finishing third in 7:55.14. 

In the women’s 3,000-meter dash, senior Mariah Wehrle finished second, earning a new season best of 9:26.29. 

In the men’s 200-meter dash, Laidler once again earned second as well as a season-best time, finishing in 20.88 seconds. 

In Fayetteville, graduate students Serena Bolden and Paola Fernandez-Sola earned season bests in the long jump on the first day of the Tyson Invitational.  

Bolden finished fifth in the finals with a mark of 6.00 meters, and Fernandez-Sola competed in the long jump invitational where she also finished fifth, jumping 6.27 meters. 

On Saturday, senior Mahogany Jenkins and Bolden competed in the triple jump. Jenkins finished 15th, leaping 12.19 meters, and Bolden finished 25th with a mark of 11.72 meters. 

The Hoosiers finish off the indoor regular season on Friday at the University of Notre Dame’s Alex Wilson Invitational.