A guide to utilities and amenities

hlutilities-illo

Utilities are a bothersome but necessary part of any housing arrangement. They can be stressful to think about, especially remembering the monthly payments. Staying on track with a calendar or reminder system is the best way to make sure your utilities are paid for on time and guaranteed. 

Standard utilities throughout most apartments and houses include electricity, gas, water, trash/recycling and sewage. Some utilities are included with certain apartments and houses, but always double check before moving in so you aren’t missing a necessary utility. 

Parking is another utility that must be taken into consideration. Many apartments have parking spaces that are either included with your apartment or require an extra payment. If the house you stay in doesn’t have a driveway, you can park your car on the street. Most neighborhood street parking is reserved for permitted vehicles only, but you can purchase a permit online on the City of Bloomington website.  

Internet access is a utility rarely included in houses or apartments, so make sure to purchase it before moving in. In Bloomington, most areas have Comcast as the provider, but more neighborhoods are beginning to include AT&T as well. Determine the best option for yourself based on price and availability.  

Living in an apartment also includes amenities. The most important ones to look for are laundry and furnishing. Laundry in-unit is would be ideal so you don’t have to drag your dirty clothes to the basement of the building. However, any form of laundry in the building is great so you can avoid the public laundromats.  

Furnishing is also an amenity to consider as it takes away the stress of furnishing a space with your own money. It can be an issue if the furniture doesn’t fit the style you may be hoping for, but saving money usually cannot be beat. 

A couple of useful, but optional amenities are access to the gym and pool. Many apartment complexes include a gym or pool, but if not, don’t fret. You still have access to the gyms and pools located in the Bill Garrett Fieldhouse and the Student Recreational Sports Center. 

Picking a living arrangement is a daunting task, but once you have made that difficult choice, don’t forget to line up payments for your utilities and familiarize yourself with the amenities so you are ready to move-in.