campus student govt

Applications for IU Student Government Spring 2024 election due Monday

cafraudpetition012324,jpg

The Spring 2024 IU Student Government General Election is scheduled for March 18-20. This campus-wide election allows enrolled students to exercise their right to vote for the student body president, vice president, and congressional representatives.      

Regardless of their academic background or experience, any enrolled student has the right to run for elected positions. For a student to run in the upcoming election, they must file a declaration of candidacy. Applications are now open on IUSG’s website, and the deadline is 11:59 p.m., Monday, Feb. 26. 

The presidential ticket declaration requires information about the president and the vice president candidates, along with a petition with at least 454 student signatures, which represents 1% of the student body supporting the candidacy. 

The declaration also requires the candidates’ names, email addresses, class standing and anticipated graduation dates. Candidates must also hold at least a 2.5 GPA. 

There are 31 available academic district seats or residential district vacancies in Congress. Students looking to run for a seat in Congress must also file a declaration of candidacy, however, they only need to provide their name, email, class standing and the district they are running for. 

The candidate must be a constituent of the district they are running for. 

To assist candidates through the election process, an election guide will be published, according to IUSG’s website. The guide will provide important information on candidacy filing, campaign guidelines, and other essential details.   

All questions and concerns about the election can be sent to iusgelco@indiana.edu. Complaints regarding the election can be filed through the IUSG Election Complaint Form.  

[CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly identified the date of the IUSG election. It has been updated to reflect the fact that the voting period is March 18-20.]